Pregnant after IF
Options

Pregnancy book recs?

I was thinking about buying a book about pregnancy, etc. Is Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn any good? What about the Mayo clinic book? Or What to Expect When Your Expecting? Any thoughts on these or other recs would be appreciated.
TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
**P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Pregnancy book recs?

• Options
    I only have WTEWYE and while it is a good resource, it's a bit alarmist. So, if you are easily paranoid or made nervous, it might not be the book for you. I also have and like Your pregnancy week by week. I have heard others say that they like the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy. Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy is a light, funny read but not a comprehensive resource by any means. HTH!
    After 3 years, 3 losses, and 3 IVF's, our little girls have arrived! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Zoo
  • Options

imagebrody8336:
    I only have WTEWYE and while it is a good resource, it's a bit alarmist. So, if you are easily paranoid or made nervous, it might not be the book for you. I also have and like Your pregnancy week by week. I have heard others say that they like the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy. Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy is a light, funny read but not a comprehensive resource by any means. HTH!

This is why I didn't get this book. My friend gave me The Pregnancy Bible which has been pretty good; I have been reading that and Twins!. I also read Belly Laughs. I liked it. 

m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love Mayo Clinic - very thorough!!! DH has also been reading it! I also read Girlfriends Guide - definitely filled in the blanks
  • Options
    Swede25Swede25 member
    I really like Your Pregnancy Week by Week.  My best friend told me to stay away from What to Expect because in the beginning is so much stuff that will freak you out.  A friend of mine due a month after me got that book and after reading it was completely paranoid.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

• Options
    I got What to Expect but didn't find it quite as alarmist as everyone said it would be.  Maybe it's because I was expecting it to be waaay worse.  I did find it really helpful.  I also really liked Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs, quite hilarious!!  And I'm reading Happiest Baby on the Block and I really like it too.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree with Jenny in that I didn't find WTEWYE to be overly alarmist, either.  At all.  I do like the Mayo Clinic book a little bit better, but either one would suffice as a comprehensive guide for pregnancy and childbirth.
  • Options

I have the Mayo Clinic book and I like it a lot. It jumps around a bit in terms of what order it covers things, but the information is great, easy to follow and detailed.
    I also have the Pregnancy countdown book - its a day by day book - each day gives you a new fact, or piece of advice, or something to do. Its small, can fit in your purse, I've enjoyed reading it when I've got a spare 5 minutes.

TTC #1 since 03/09 Dx Unexplained
    Jan to April 2010 - Clomid - All BFN
    June 2010 - IVF - BFN
    Oct 2010 - FET #1 - BFN
    Dec 2010 - endometrial biopsy
    Jan 2011 - Surprise BFP! - m/c at 6w5d
    March 2011 - FET #2. Thawed 11 Day 1 embryos; 5 'exploded' / possible lab error?
    ET 4/2/11 transferred 1 blast & 1 morula
    Beta#1 10dp5dt =81; Beta#2 12dp5dt =222 Beta#3 16dp5dt =1337
    It's a BOY!!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have the Mayo book from last time and thought it was good.  I have no plans to buy WTEWYE or anything by Miss McCarthy.

A few other ideas...

https://thelifeihaveimagined.blogspot.com/2010/12/baby-books.html

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I have found the Mayo book to be very useful.  I read WTE and didn't really care for it.

I've heard Pregnancy Week by Week is good but I dont' have that one yet.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"