Maryland Babies
Options

Pre-natal Care

Hello, I'm pregnant with my first baby and have questions about what is considered "normal" for pre-natal care.  I go to Chesapeake Women's Care and have my first pre-natal appt next week.  I was told by the office that there would be an u/s at 20 weeks and nothing before then (unless there are complications).  Also, appts are usually with the nurse practitioner.  Is this normal???  Thanks in advance!

Re: Pre-natal Care

• Options
    yes, that sounds normal. Though I did met with an OB every time, it was usually for about 2-3 minutes, she just asked if I had any questions. I had my first u/s at 18 weeks, and because of my age I am considered high risk, so 20 weeks sounds right. There was really no reason to met with the OB each time, I think I just did because there was no nurse practitioner (it was a small office, just one OB)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I haven't heard of only seeing a NP before...It must be normal for your practice. I always saw an OB when I was PG. This way I knew all of the Dr's before delivery so there weren't any surprises. In regards to the u/s it is pretty common to only have 1 at 20 weeks.

Jen, mom to Evan-6yrs and Ella-20 months
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an US at my first appt--8 wks, to confirm the pregnancy and measure to confirm the dates.  Embryo development is pretty textbook for the first 12 wks, so they like to measure to confirm the date they get for how far along you might be based on your last period.  I also saw my OB at every visit.  The nurses took my urine sample, weight & blood pressure, but the visit was always with the doc...
  • Options
    That is the normal standard of care no matter who you see. I went to Chespeake Woam's Care but I always saw the docs since I was high risk.
    Alot of docs only do one us during the whole pg to cehck growth at around 20 wks or so. Sometimes if you get lucky they might do one early on or later in pg. Also sometimes it depends on your insurance coverage and how many they will cover if you're having a normal pg. Most visits they really don't do a lot. They check weight and blood pressure and later on in pg they will test ur urine and measure ur belly I think that started in 2nd tri.
    GL and HTH.
  • Options
    I don't think that it is abnormal...sounds like my doctor.  My doctor just did the 20 wk ultrasound to check development (besides the initial ultrasound).  However, I would say that if you aren't comfortable or would like more personal care then I would look into other doctors.  I switched doctors at 17 weeks because I wanted to deliver at another hospital.  So far my experiences have been that OBs try to get you in and out quickly unless there is something major going on.  I think for our next baby my husband and I are going to look around and try to find another doctor, probably not one in a huge practice, so that we have more personal care.
  • Options
    I had a vaginal u/s at 7 weeks to confirm the pregnancy, then another at 20 weeks. I met with docs in my practice every time and a nurse/midwife once. ?I didn't really meet with NPs at all. ?
  • Options
    You will see the NP at your first apptment at Chesapeake Women's Care.  Then you start to rotate through all the docs.   They sent me for an u/s at 9 weeks just to confirm my due date b/cmy period was irregular.  Then bet 18-20 wks they will send you for the level 2 sonogram.   They refer all sonograms out or at least they did in my exp.   GL!!!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"