Can you take tylenol and sudafed in the same day? — The Bump
2nd Trimester

Can you take tylenol and sudafed in the same day?

I tried calling my OB office and they were already closed:(  I took the sudafed at 10:45 this morning and now have a crappy headache so I wanted to take some tylenol.  What do you ladies think?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby #5 due 12.31.15

Re: Can you take tylenol and sudafed in the same day?

• My old OB said that I could take them together when I was sick with a viral infection and sinuses. I took 30mg of Sudafed and one pill of Tylenol.
  • you can definitely take them both together, in fact that is what most "sinus" products contain - a pain reliever and decongestant.  However , many OBs recommend avoiding decongestants during pregnancy as they are vasoconstrictors (ie. decrease blood flow).
  • In first tri I had the worst case of bronchitis and a sinus infection on top of a raging fever (103.5).  My OB told me to take tylenol and regular plain sudafed as often as needed for relief, which for about 48 hrs was about every 4-6 hrs around the clock.  Baby is just fine.  If you need both, take both.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not taking any sudafed...I'm avoiding all class Cs unless its really necessary.  Try benedryl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, you can take the two at the same time because they are entirely different medicatons that don't interact with each other. Like a PP said, most sinus medications contain both ingredients.

However, I wouldn't take sudafed because it cotains phenylephrine which is a big no-no during you 1st trimester and not recommended for the rest of or pregancy. I don't even know why doctors say it's okay to take it. Try saline spray and a neti pot.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• image christinaramirez08:

Yes, you can take the two at the same time because they are entirely different medicatons that don't interact with each other. Like a PP said, most sinus medications contain both ingredients.

However, I wouldn't take sudafed because it cotains phenylephrine which is a big no-no during you 1st trimester and not recommended for the rest of or pregancy. I don't even know why doctors say it's okay to take it. Try saline spray and a neti pot.

Phenylephrine is a completely different drug than Sudafed, which is actually pseudoephedrine, NOT phenylephrine.  Most, if not all, over the counter decongestants are phenylephrine if you read the label carefully, which is a no-no while pregnant, but if you get the real Sudafed, from the pharmacist (it's stocked behind the pharmacy counter), it is indeed pseudoephedrine, not phenylephrine.  I am an ICU RN and my DH is a surgeon, we know the difference between these two drugs.  I repeat Sudafed is NOT phenylephrine. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image kchick:
    you can definitely take them both together, in fact that is what most "sinus" products contain - a pain reliever and decongestant.  However , many OBs recommend avoiding decongestants during pregnancy as they are vasoconstrictors (ie. decrease blood flow).

Yes I was told not to take it ( old fashioned behind the counter sudafed)  as it can raise your blood pressure and restrict blood flow to baby. I was allowed to take Actifed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards