Detroit Babies

The Afternoon Fussies

My son is a crab apple from 4-6 p.m. I don't know if it is tiredness, boredom, what. Nothing soothes him or interests him for more than a minute or two. He's 14 months and has been this way for a while but now he will throw tantrums.

How do you all deal with the afternoon fussies? 

Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!

Re: The Afternoon Fussies

• My ds is around the same age and he does this too.  I found that if I put him in his crib he likes some quiet time to himself. 

He doesnt go to sleep I just put some soft toys in there and he plays I guess.  I dont really know what he does in there but he is happy so I've continued to do it. 

I was scared to just put him in his crib because I didnt want him to start associating him throwing fits and "being in trouble" with "time to go to sleep".  But now when he is whiny like that in the afternoon, I ask him if he wants to go to his crib and he points upstairs to his room so I guess he enjoys it.

Good Luck.

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks!

This is usually when he wakes up from his nap, though. I don't think he'd want to go back in the crib...

What is your nap schedule like? Is your son on one nap?

• Loading the player...
  • Oh then that might not work for you :)

He is a sleeper.  It is different everyday but not by much.

He goes to bed at 7pm anything later and he has a complete meltdown.

He wakes up anywhere in between 630-730.  We wake up and he gets breakfast.  About an hour and a half after he wakes up he wants to go back to sleep so I lay him down and he will rest/nap for about an hour or so.

He usually gets crabby and goes back down by 1130.  Just recently he started wanting to go into his crib and just hang out by himself.  I lay him down and he doesnt fuss, but I hear him on the monitor for up to an hour just cooing or talking to himself.  When he finally falls asleep he sleeps for about an hour and a half again.

I feed him dinner at 530 so between him waking up from his last nap and dinner he usually doesnt get a nap but sometimes he gets supper fussy and thats when I just let him chill out in his crib for a half hour around 4pm or so.  Sometimes he falls asleep for a cat nap sometimes he just likes to be by himself. 

He is a sleeper and always has been but sometimes I feel like the whole day is me putting him in his crib to nap.  Sometimes I feel bad that he is in his crib for an hour before he falls asleep but half the time I dont even know he is awake until I hear him babbling or hear his toys  go off.

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That happens to us. DS usually calms right down if we have some outside time. The fresh air is good for him...and me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Normally outside time works, but this week, nada.

Maybe it is just a grumpy phase. 

He's been unbearable lately!

Beewitched: That does sound like you have a sleeper! Lucky you!

• imageBigyellowdog:

Normally outside time works, but this week, nada.

Darn! That is usually my go to fix. If all else fails, I take him outside and he calms right down. It could just be the change of scenery.

Is he hungry maybe? Thirsty? Landon has been throwing holy fits in the afternoons. I think we finally figured out it was because he wanted water...cold water to be exact. Prissy lil guy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He was an angel yesterday so apparently all I had to do was publicly call him out and he fell back in line.

My little dude will only drink cold water. And it has to be COLD. Weirdo.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"