Parenting
Options

Recommend your mattress. Tempur-pedic?

DH and I bought a top of the line Serta mattress a couple of years ago when I worked at a furniture store and got it at employee pricing.  Silly us -- we figured that a mattress that sold on the floor for $5,000 would be a really nice mattress. 

Here we are 5 years later and we both want to throw the thing out the window!  To make matters worse, I already have a bad back and wake up every morning with excruciating pain. 

I think we are going to finally bite the bullet and get a new mattress.  Of course, now I'm a little gun shy and am afraid to buy a new one just to end up in the same boat in 5 years.  I've been looking online at the Tempur-pedic's but they are $$$$.  I don't mind spending it though if it's a good mattress.  They do have a 90 day try-out which is kind of nice.

Does anyone have a mattress that they love?  Or have any words of wisdom on mattresses to avoid?

I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Recommend your mattress. Tempur-pedic?

• Options
    justEKjustEK member

We bought a Dormia several years ago because we thought it would be better than the tempur-pedic. Wrong!

We finally bought a tempur-pedic last year and so far so good. We first purchased one off the cloud line, but it was way too soft. We are both belly sleepers and would wake up in worse shape than before the bed. 

Just an FYI, we couldn't return the bed for a full refund. Only an exchange and we could only get the 90 try-out for one bed. We talked them into the 90 period for the second bed, but we almost didn't get it.

We went with the Deluxe model. Do you have a foundation with your current bed? If you do, you'll only need the mattress. 

• Options
    We got a Tempurpedic a couple years ago and I would never go back. It is by far the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. It did take some time to get used to it (it starts out very firm), but now I love it. Also, it had a very strong smell for the first week, but that went away after a few days with the windows open.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Love my tempur pedic...and when we were shopping it wasnt THAT much more $$$ compared to top of the line other brands...its SOO worth the money.
    That said, before we got our real one, we tried a "off" brand "memory foam"...STAY AWAY!  the thing had dips where we slept after 4 or 5 years...no good.  It was not nearly as comfortable after about 2 and it sleeps a MILLION times hotter than the REAL tempur pedic.

Get one..you will thank me later.

• Options
    imagejustEK:

Do you have a foundation with your current bed? If you do, you'll only need the mattress. 

Not sure what you mean by foundation.  Our current bed has a box spring.  Can I just use our existing box spring with the tempurpedic mattress?

I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I just did a shitton of research on mattresses, visited several stores, factories, mom and pop shops... and here's what I found.

Convoluted (?) foam ("egg shell" or "egg crate" foam) is the stuff that will compress.  Foam in general will break down at an alarming rate, and that's why your mattress sags and such.

Visit as many places as you can--but try to go to the stores that they actually MAKE the mattresses.  You'll see the difference in materials they use. 

The new "it" foam is the latex foam.  It doesn't break down as easily as other foams and it's more breathable (if they show you a piece, you'll see it's got vertical holes all over the place).  If you or DH are heavy night-sweaters, you can look into this kind of foam.  I wasn't a fan.

The "it" foam from 5-10 years ago was memory foam.  This is the kind of foam where you kind of sink into it and stay there.  Not good for people who sweat at night, and they say it reduces tossing and turning.  One of the places I went to suggested it reduces tossing because it's takes so much more effort to get your body to roll out of your impression that you're sunk into. *shrug*

The other major differences between mattresses is going to be if you go with inner-spring or pocketed coil.  Inner spring tend to be firmer, and the whole thing works together as a system.  Individiual pocketed coils are just that--stand alone springs.  Think of it as laying on a bed of fingers.

Box springs are simply spacers, but you may void the mattress warranty if you don't purchase one.  Always ask before you turn it down.

In the end, I went with a 5-zone individual pocketed coil system.  It's a eurotop (I think), and the top isn't foam at all--it's smaller individual pocketed coils.  I paid $1400 +tax for the set.  I opted for a mattress with nearly zero foam and a 10-year 1" sag warranty, also covers workmanship, spring failure, etc.

The place I went to was about 80 miles from my home, and it was a mom-and-pop store where they make the mattresses to order in-house.  The place is Rest Assured in Rochester, MN (https://www.myrestassuredmattress.com/ ) --I will warn you, the website isn't really anything to look at, but the sales people are AMAZING.  Two things made me buy on the spot--their knowledgable staff, and the fact that they don't use convoluted foam.  AT ALL.  Because they only use products they believe in--and convoluted foam is notorious for breaking down.

ETA: I looked into the tempur-pedic and wasn't a fan, so I didn't look into them seriously.

• Options
    justEKjustEK member

No. A foundation is not a box spring.

FYI- the dormia we purchased was a latex foam and it was such crap! We do not sweat much with the tempurpedic and I am a hot sleeper.

• Options
    We had a tempurpedic and I hated it.  It retained body heat and got body impressions in it.  DH and I would take dibs for the middle, where it didn't sag.
  • Options

I honestly think that even though the latex foam is the "it" foam, it's going to be a complete fad that will pass in 5-10 years. Indifferent

Mattresses are a big purchase, but when you find the right one it makes a world of difference.  On a side note, OP isn't your mattress still under warranty?  For 5k I would hope so.

• Options

imagebritanyd:
    On a side note, OP isn't your mattress still under warranty?  For 5k I would hope so.

Goodness....don't even get me started on the warranty.  It's supposed to have a 10 year warranty.  I called the retailer that we bought it from and they sent out a "representative" to inspect the mattress.  The representative noted that the mattress seemed to be wearing unevenly along with a few other things that made us think that Serta would do something for us.  He said he had to pass his report along and we'd get something in the mail. 

The letter we finally received in the mail stated that it was our fault that the mattress is defective/not wearing properly because it is not properly supported.  I'm not sure what we were supposed to do differently to properly support it.  The retailer we bought it from set it up for us and used the frame with the extra supports at my request.  As I mentioned, I was working for the retailer at the time and knew what to ask for with regard to proper support when we bought the bed to ensure warranty coverage. 

In the end, if you ask me, Serta just didn't want to honor their warranty.  Come to find out, they are notoriously bad about honoring their warranty.  I will NEVER buy another Serta mattress! 

• Options
    imageLeoChic:

The letter we finally received in the mail stated that it was our fault that the mattress is defective/not wearing properly because it is not properly supported.  I'm not sure what we were supposed to do differently to properly support it.  The retailer we bought it from set it up for us and used the frame with the extra supports at my request. 

That is crappy!  Did you follow up with Serta regarding what you were supposed to do to "properly support" the mattress?  Sometimes if you make a big enough stink they'll do something for you... but on the flip side, if you are having this much trouble now, I don't know that I'd want another one.  Sad

• Options
    We love our tempur-pedic, but it does retain heat.  That's the one big drawback.  We did also have to keep the windows open for a few days.  We also kept it unzipped and kept apple slices on top (on a plate) to help absorb the smell.  We recently moved out of our house for 3 months for renovations.  I missed our tempur-pedic and had a sore back most nights.  But when we came back, we had to get used to the heat of the tempur-pedic all over again.  It was a bad first 2 nights, then bliss again.
  • Options
    We have had a tempur pedic for almost 6 years and still love it.  We also love the pillows.  It does retain heat so can be a little hot sometimes, but no complaints and I miss it when I'm not home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"