Detroit Babies
Options

Metro Partners - Pre-paying deductible

I saw a post on the 2nd tri board that made me think about this.  I go through Metro Partners in Women's Health and I owe $1k by August, as that is my individual deductible.  Is this the norm with most offices?  I already paid it in full, so I'm hoping this is pretty common and I don't have to deal with billing issues between the hospital, my doctor's office and my insurance company after the babies are born.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Metro Partners - Pre-paying deductible

• Options
    It is normal. You shouldn't have to pay any more to you OB after delivery. You will have the hospital bills to pay (room, materials, epi etc.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm half way through my pregnancy and my office just brought it up that I could pay half now half later if I wanted or all of it now or whatever I decide.  I dont remember doing it with my first pregnancy with the same office.  But I would guess it is fairly normal to try to even out the costs so you arent owing a bunch of money at the same time.

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mrs.NGMMrs.NGM member
    I ended up calling Blue Care directly since I wasn't getting a straight answer from anyone else.  They said it was normal and would be fine as long as the doctor's office sent the bill before the hospital (just so I wouldn't have to deal with who gets the deductible).  Then I called the doctor's office to see what would happen if the hospital bill gets sent first and they said that never happens, so I'll be fine.  Blah, the boring things I have to sort through drive me nuts!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't think it's common to prepay a deductible.  I always make doctor offices process things through insurance first before paying.  I'm assuming the $1000 is a general deductible- once it's paid, then insurance pays for everything else.  The vast majority of the bills during pregnancy come after the baby is born.  So from now until then, there's likely to be things that come up and chip away at that deductible (are your u/s and lab work done by doctor's office or the hospital?).  By the time the doctor actually bills insurance, you will likely have paid a portion of that deductible.  The insurance company won't know you prepaid your deductible, so you will essentially be paying your deductible twice and have to wait to be reinbursed from the doctor's office.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had to pay my OB her delivery fees not covered by my insurance in 2nd trimester.  I didn't with my first DD, but with the insurance changes in the last 4 years that seems to be the norm now.

You will more than likely still get bills from your hospital for various things (labs, drugs, and stay) though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options
    imageMrsRenee:

I don't think it's common to prepay a deductible.  I always make doctor offices process things through insurance first before paying.  I'm assuming the $1000 is a general deductible- once it's paid, then insurance pays for everything else.  The vast majority of the bills during pregnancy come after the baby is born.  So from now until then, there's likely to be things that come up and chip away at that deductible (are your u/s and lab work done by doctor's office or the hospital?).  By the time the doctor actually bills insurance, you will likely have paid a portion of that deductible.  The insurance company won't know you prepaid your deductible, so you will essentially be paying your deductible twice and have to wait to be reinbursed from the doctor's office.

I do too.  However, I do keep up on where I am in meeting my deductible, what's going to be covered vs. not, ect.  We've been putting money aside each money especially for paying the doctor's and hospital so it won't be such a shock (hopefully!)

Married ~ DD 2004 ~ 2 2nd tri losses ~ DS 2011 5 weeks 1 day early ~ DD2 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"