School-Aged Children

best shampoo for thick tangled hair?

My neice has thick medium length hair that is prone to tangles. My sister feels so bad brushing it after her bath Sad anyone know of a good shampoo? she has tried J and J no more tangles, and used detangler.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: best shampoo for thick tangled hair?

• We just use Burts Bees.  The trick is to keep a wide-tooth comb in the shower -- when you put in the conditioner, you comb through all the tangles, then rinse.  It works beautifully. 
  • ccm1203ccm1203 member
    imageDandelionMom:
    The trick is to keep a wide-tooth comb in the shower -- when you put in the conditioner, you comb through all the tangles, then rinse.  It works beautifully. 
      THIS
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much!!
  • Also, she needs to use a wide tooth brush if she doesn't want to use a comb. If the teeth of the brush are tight it'll spell disaster for her hair. 

I use Tresemme and I love their products.  

• It's not so much the shampoo, but the conditioner.  And then use a leave-in when she gets out, when she combs it.  I actually use the expensive leave-in I use on my hair on hers, but I also really like the Paul Mitchell Kids line.  They have a "calming" spray or something - I use it on my own hair too.
  • imageblueshirt2003:

Also, she needs to use a wide tooth brush if she doesn't want to use a comb. If the teeth of the brush are tight it'll spell disaster for her hair. 

I use Tresemme and I love their products.  

Ok, I remembered that when I wrote this I didn't consider the tear free aspect of it (Tresemme). Ditto the other poster that conditioner is key here.

• Agree wtih pp and the conditioner.  I only wash DD's hair with shampoo maybe once a week but will do just the conditioner in it maybe every other day.  I will then use a leave in conditioner (I think I use the Fructis) and a wide tooth comb.  Her hair has to be wet to comb (I never brush it dry) but DD's hair is also very curly so brushing it dry would frizz it out.
    Mommy to DS1 ~10.11.05~ DD1 ~07.22.07~ DD2 ~09.10.10~
  • I try to use only a little bit of shampoo.  It strips oil from the hair, especially if you're dealing with curly or wavy hair.  We condition a ton in our house.  I use a deep conditioner on DD at least 1x a week.  And, I apply leave in conditioner after she gets out of the tub.  I comb through by dividing it into sections and starting at the bottom and working my way up.  She sleeps with her hair loosely in a bun every night too b/c the tangles are bad in the AM.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"