March 2011 Moms
Options

XP: Latch on/off/on/off/on/off - anybody dealing with this?

everything has been going great with bf'ing and LO but lately on my left breast he latches on then pulls off almost immediately over and over again. maybe he wants a faster let down? but he never does it on the right breast... I've tried different positions and compression and am having no luck :( will he grow out of it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Latch on/off/on/off/on/off - anybody dealing with this?

• Options
    My LO does this too! I've also had trouble with her just latching on sometimes. I've found that doing the football hold helps somewhat. I thought it might be because I'm right handed and maybe my right breast lets down faster. I know when I pump I always get more out of the right breast than the left.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    When I was bfing still, I had this issue all the time.  A nurse was here once while L did it, and she recommended leaning back to use gravity to help slow my letdown.  Perhaps that will help, I know you've said you have tried different positions, but I'm not sure if that's one of them!  Good luck, I definitely know how frustrating it can be!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry, I don't really have an answer, but I just wanted to say that DS does this too! Sometimes we use a nipple shield and sometimes we don't, but he does this either way.

I've noticed that he does it most either during let down or later in the evening when my milk flow slows down... so maybe he gets frustrated with the fast or slow flow? 

• Options
    DD does this sometimes too. I think I've figured out that if she's on/off and fussing she's mad because its coming out to fast. (It sprays when she comes off, and always happens on the right side). If she's calm and doing the on/off thing, she is usually trying to poop and can apparently only focus on one thing at a time. ;)
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Options
    Yeah I really think it's the slow let down/less in the evening thing :( I guess all I can do is breast compression and hope he grows out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"