Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Breaking down...we need wool.

I've come to the conclusion that we need wool for overnight diapers. Baby SuperSoaker is simply too full of pee for anything else to work.

But I have no idea what brands are good/great/best/worst/etc.

But I think you probably do know this.

So, wise EFFers, please recommend a specific brand and style of wool for my little chunk who just won't stop wetting herself even though she's 6 months old Wink

Mother's Day, 2011

Re: Breaking down...we need wool.

• Options

I've only ever really used soakers because DH says I'm torturing our children anytime I put that "heavy, itchy stuff" on them.  Hmmm...

So we have some babyology soakers, an aristocrats soaker and a couple interlock soakers (I think they might be swaddlebees - they are side snapping - SUPER bulletproof). 

I love wool.  I have a ton of it but have hardly used it.  Wish I could find the courage to use it for more than naptime....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

Okay, crap.

What's the difference between a soaker and wool?

Mother's Day, 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CABunnyCABunny member

Disana soakers.  :)

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Options
    Do you mean a doubler Satreece? Because a soaker to me us like a cover that only goes over the diaper so not shorts or pants.

back when we were using wool on DS I really liked the Disana covers. They are affordably priced and you can get away with putting a bit bigger one on so they can wear longer as they grow.
  • Options
    CABunnyCABunny member
  • Options
    For overnight we used the aristocrats soaker.  I've heard diasani (sp?) are of similar quality.  Worked really well for us! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCABunny:
    Abby's Lane carries them and has free shipping.
  • Options

imagepapagena:
    For overnight we used the aristocrats soaker.  I've heard diasani (sp?) are of similar quality.  Worked really well for us! 

Ditto!

• Options
    For nighttime I really like interlock covers.  We've used Sbish and Rainbow waters.  As for crocheted, I think you might know who I'd prefer for that...
  • Options

You totally need a custom from 1&onlywoolies.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/1andOnly-Woolies/191099354259944 

• Options

If you want functional, I highly recommend Disana soakers at the cheap end and Aristocrats at the more expensive end.

I have some upcycled wool that is ok and some interlock that I like for daytime, but I'll stick to buying these kinds of soakers for nighttime.  I loved my Aristocrats that I got used, but L's outgrown them (they are very felted) and the larges are HUGE.  She wore them during the daytime too.  

The disana is a bit too bulky to use under daytime clothes but I've used it in a pinch.  It is pretty cute by itself though.  The legs are very stretchy, which makes it great for chunky or skinny legs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aspadeaspade member

Chiming in late here...

We also had to start using wool pretty early on.  My favorites now are the Disana (they're double layered--it's hard to describe, but they're thicker), but early on we used the Little Beetle one-size cover to great success.  It's pretty reasonably priced, too. 

• Options

random - but does anyone use wool over pockets to help with leakage due to sleep position?  v tends to do some side sleeping (or pees when nursing on her side at night) and has gotten some leakage that way.  i don't really want to use fitteds as she doesn't like to feel wet and while i figure the thirsties duos are prob lined with stay-dry, i doubt they'd be enough for bedtime like a b4 or gm.

thoughts?

my cool cat - er, bunny!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my bfp chart!
    our hippy baby blog

• Options

Lyte: haven't tried that but definitely thought about back in our super soaker days.  I think I've heard of others doing it. Do you already have some fitteds though? Can you just lay a fleece liner in them for nighttime? And Thirsties duos are stuffable so you could always try one with some AFFF or other trim/super absorber.  These are all things I am planning to try with this next LO since pockets leaked on the sides for us about twice a week as well with DS. He is a total side sleeper too.

• Options
    kdellokdello member
    imagelytedark:

random - but does anyone use wool over pockets to help with leakage due to sleep position?  v tends to do some side sleeping (or pees when nursing on her side at night) and has gotten some leakage that way.  i don't really want to use fitteds as she doesn't like to feel wet and while i figure the thirsties duos are prob lined with stay-dry, i doubt they'd be enough for bedtime like a b4 or gm.

thoughts?

I have a Thirsties Duo Fab Fitted and it is stuffable, so I add a hemp doubler and it works GREAT. I put wool on top. Otherwise, I put her in a double-stuffed BG with wool on top. Since we've been wearing wool shorties to bed, I haven't had wet sheets even once!

• Options
    imagelytedark:

thoughts?

Yep. We've done it a few times, and probably will again in the future. We're still figuring things out, though.

& bug - We've been using wool from the start: upcycled WAHM made soakers from etsy [I like LittleFriendsBySarah and WinkyDinks, although WD recently started doing more fleece than wool], and I buy used knit soakers, shorties, and longies [all WAHM made] from places like diaperswappers.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

We have a Disana one, and it's great for overnight (and very reasonably priced!). I think I got it from Abby's Lane (free shipping!). DS has been wearing a M for about six months (he's 24 lbs now, was probably 19-ish lbs. when I got it and it was kinda loose).

Lyte - If you want a stay-dry fitted (bonus: one-size!), I suggest trying a GAD semi-fitted (stuffable; fleece inner; hemp outer) with wool. I know you can do wool over a fitted to catch side-sleeper leaks, but I think a fitted works better because (a) breathability helps LO's skin and (b) if there are leaks outside the diaper that the cover catches, there's absorbency all the way around to soak up the leak instead of a waterproof layer between like with a BG or something (if that makes sense).

• Options
    Thank you thank you thank you!
    Mother's Day, 2011
  • Options

imagetriumphantreturnofplanningbug:
    Thank you thank you thank you!

ditto for the people who answered me and to bug for letting me piggyback on her post.  :-D

my cool cat - er, bunny!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my bfp chart!
    our hippy baby blog

• Options
    I knitted a couple of wool covers. Super easy and fast knitting. I gave both of them to Pixy- she may be able to give some insight on how the pattern I used held up over time. If they are good, I can email it to you.
  • Options
    CABunnyCABunny member
    I totally forgot about our Little Beetles.  Those were great too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"