Detroit Babies

Hello and a ? about childbirth classes

Hi! I'm Carrie and I'm about 25 weeks pregnant now.  I have been lurking on the national boards and I've noticed that a lot of girls are taking childbirth and infant care classes.  I wasn't planning on taking these because they seemed to be a bit pricey.  Did any of you take these classes?  Are they worth it? If so, do you mind sharing where you took them? I am delivering at Henry Ford in West Bloomfield and I think they gave me a list a long time ago and I threw it away, but I'm sure I could get another one.  Anyone take classes there?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hello and a ? about childbirth classes

• Hi Carrie! I also delivered at HFWB and I did take the childbrith class they offered. I think it was beneficial. If nothing else it made me feel more prepared before I went into labor. Actually I think it was better for my husband than it was for me. He really paid attention (shocking!) and used what he learned while coaching me.
  • Hi Carrie and congrats! I took my classes at the hospital I delivered. They were totally worth it. My insurance reimbursed me for them too. Infant care classes are also good. I didn't take them because I felt I remembered enough from nursing school. Another class I would highly recommend is a breastfeeding class if you plan to nurse. I know they're pricy. I think I spent $150 total for all the above plus a daddy boot camp and time management for new mom's class.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at HFWB as well (wonderfuil experience by the way).  I took my childbirth classes at HF Livonia Medical Center and I think it was helpful just to get a clue of what is likely to happen as a 1st time mom.  I thought the class was reasonably priced, like $25, and I have not seen a class cheaper.  But, if that is out of your price range you can always call around to other hospitals to see how much their classes cost since you can attend without being a patient there.  I heard that the infant care classes are really helpful to men because some men are soooo hesitant around babies.

I will say that I wish I had taken an infant CPR/Safety class.  I am still going to take one in fact.  When my son got a little older and was taking baby food, he would gag on foods he did not like, but it petrified us at first because we thought he was choking until we realized what he was doing.  However, if he had been choking, neither I or my husband have any training that would have allowed us to really help him. 

• I took one and thought it was a waste of time & money - my insurance did cover it though so check that out.  I felt most of what they went over was already covered in the books, magazines, forums and friends.  The area I did find helpful was learning their procedure in all situations - from coming in on your own due to contractions to serious emergency C-Section.  It gave me an idea of what to expect.  Plus I like touring the hospital.

But I believe you should be able to ask for a tour without taking the class and can probably ask questions about their procedures on it as well.  

I would have prefered to take a newborn care class and/or breastfeeding class.  I think I'll do the BF next time as I hope to be successful next time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageTarah716:

I took one and thought it was a waste of time & money - my insurance did cover it though so check that out.  I felt most of what they went over was already covered in the books, magazines, forums and friends.  The area I did find helpful was learning their procedure in all situations - from coming in on your own due to contractions to serious emergency C-Section.  It gave me an idea of what to expect.  Plus I like touring the hospital.

But I believe you should be able to ask for a tour without taking the class and can probably ask questions about their procedures on it as well.  

I would agree with this and I am delivering at Beaumont so that is where I took the classes.  We actually left the 2nd one early this past weekend after I had an opportunity to talk to the "candy man" (anthesteologist) about understanding the whens and options of pain meds.  It was a lot of what I already knew and I didn't even read a whole ton of books.  There is a class about 4-6 weeks after we deliver that is part of the program and we will go to that, but the actual birthing class wasn't for me.

The tours (which were done seperately outside of the class) were great as well.

I did find our BF class very helpful and do recommend that if you can find time.  All of our classes were covered by my FSA account. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats on the pregnancy!!

I delivered out of Beaumont and they offered a bunch of classes.  We decided not to take any.  They were all expensive, and I felt like what they would teach me in class isn't how the delivery would play out.  And I was right!  I think each delivery is different.  I expect a completely different experience for the next baby.  I should say that while my Uncle was overseas, I lived with my Aunt when she had her baby.  So I already knew about bathing, feeding, safety, CPR, etc.

We did take the hospital tour, that was the best thing that was offered.

I BF, but didn't take the class.  The nurses at our hospital are also LC, so I meet and had one on one meetings with 4 LC/nurses during my 2.5 day stay.  I felt more confident once I was actually BF than when I was reading about it beforehand.

• Jynx23Jynx23 member

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't even thought about taking a breastfeeding class but I think I'll look into that too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"