1st Trimester
Options

Overweight...when do you start to show?

I'm just wondering if any of you ladies are overweight and if you've been pregnant before, when did you start to show. I know "every woman is different", but I'm curious to see your answers. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Overweight...when do you start to show?

• Options
    StefB28StefB28 member
    I'm overweight-- with my first, I started really showing around 20 weeks. This time, I'm already showing at 12 weeks. (I'm sure it's still bloat, but I count that since it's b/c of the pregnancy & I look pregnant.)
  • Options
    I didn't show till about 6 mos pregnant with DD. I was about 210 when I got pregnant.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am tall (5ft10) and overweight (size 14 pre preg) so I dont expect to show until I am about halfway through at least. Baby has a lot of hiding places :)
  • Options
    jarbatzjarbatz member

I was about 10 lbs overweight when I got pg the first time and I'm tall (5'8") so I took forever to get that round basketball bump - like 24 weeks. I was "showing" before then but I just remember at Thanksgiving someone commenting that I barely looked pg and a week later I had a big round tummy!  I'm hoping I don't have to wait that long the 2nd time around!

Everyone is different....whether you're overweight or not....the hardest part is being patient...but the bump WILL come in due time!

Me-38, DH - 48 | DD born 3/17/10 | BFP 4/29/11 - M/C 5/31/11 Blighted Ovum | BFP 12/18/11 CP - 12/27/11 | Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

:;lurking from 3rd:: 

I started this pregnancy about 50 lbs over weight, and I started to show right around 15 weeks, and obviously around 20-21. 

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    i'm past overweight (i'm obese! hate that word but it's fact). I started out @ a size 24 & 290lbs & carry all my weight in my belly. But my stomach started to take a round shape at about 16 weeks or so but still not noticeable when clothed. now i'm close to 24 weeks & there's def a bump. so don't worry, you'll show. it's just like with non-overweight women....you just don't know when!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    amyj63amyj63 member
    thanks ladies. I'm trying to figure out the difference between the "bloat" and "baby" and when I can expect to feel this way. I'm excited for when it's actually a hard tummy of baby!
  • Options
    I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one who is a plus size gal. This may sound weird, but I also carry all of my weight in my stomach and have you had any problem with ultrasounds? I am scheduled for my first one June 2nd.
  • Options
    amyj63amyj63 member
    I haven't had an ultrasound yet. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow to have them book an appointment for me! I'm overweight but carry most of my weight at my hips/ass/thighs! I'm thinking it won't be a problem for the ultrasound. But, I could be wrong!
  • Options
    I didn't show until at least 5 months but my tummy was firm for a long time before I got big.  And for the unltrasound, the first one is transvaginal so no problems.  I just had my NT scan last week and she had no problems with the sonogram over the belly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Early u/s are done transvaginally, so it doesn't matter how big or small your belly is ;)

With my first two I was in the top of the "normal" weight zone and showed with my 1st at 6 months and second at 4.5 months. With this baby I'm 35lbs overweight and anxious to see how quickly I show. I hear that with yoru third you show before the second trimester.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
    Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
    Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MAMAxBMAMAxB member
    I started showing at 19-20 weeks my first pregnancy
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• Options
    imageHeather & Nayt:

:;lurking from 3rd:: 

I started this pregnancy about 50 lbs over weight, and I started to show right around 15 weeks, and obviously around 20-21. 

What are you doing over here love??!! :)

• Options
    I don't know about abdominal u/s....but I am overweight and they were able to get a heartbeat on the doppler in less than a minute at 10 weeks!  That does not always happen, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't happen for you.  I was convinced they'd never be able to hear it....but they did...so there is hope!
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    EnamiEnami member
    Eh, I didn't really show until about week 19 or 20, but FI said I "looked pregnant" around 14 or 15, but he knows what I looked like naked before and after pregnancy, unlike the general populace. I was 165 pre-December/January (conception, Christmas, and New Years, the weight-gain axis of evil), and am up to 180, so I'm one of the overweight ladies.
    -A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
    image  image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm 5'8'', prepregnancy weight was 273, I'm 12 weeks now and I'm at 279. My first ultrasound I was only 5 weeks pregnant, they did it normally and I have not had a transvaginal ultrasound. I just squished my belly up a little bit and I seen the little sac! At 9 weeks I had another ultrasound done the same way, seen my baby wiggling and (s)he looked like (s)he was waving, I also heard the heart beat with no problem. My next appointment/sonogram is Friday yay! I love my doctor/nurse they constantly do sonograms and they do 1 3D sonogram for free around 35 weeks. My nurse does the sonograms and she loves the technology, she says she isn't the doctor, she has the technology and she'll do what she wants lol! My entire family uses them and they are just amazing!
  • Options

I was wondering the same thing. I'm 5'6 and 235lbs. I lost 30 pounds before getting pregnant and most of my clothes had become much larger. I'm now 15 weeks and have no problem fitting into my regular jeans and clothes. Haven't gained a pound yet. I have a lot of fat in the lower abdominal area where the bump starts. Unfortanently I think mine is hidden Sad Im guessing I'll probably start showing 22+ weeks. I can't wait!! I think I will then really feel pregnant!

• Options
    I lost about 20 pounds before I got pregnant. I still have plenty of belly fat. Im almost 12 wks and feel like Im starting to show. I dont know if its just bloating. Its sticking out especially up top and its hard.
  • Options

I am so realeved that I am not the only over weight gal on here, and you guys answerd a lot of questions I had in terms of my weight, hearing my baby's heart beat and sonograms that i was too embarrassed to ask.  I haven't had my first OB apt yet but I'm pretty sure my Dr will advise me not to gain more then 8 - 12 pounds during this pregnancy. Has anyone here only gained a small amount of weight through out a pregnancy? Or had any weight related problems with pregnancy?

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"