Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Onesies-when do you stop wearing them?

I love onesies on my DS because it hides his diaper and "protects" his skin. It is starting to get warm here and I am debating buying onesies for the summer.

When will you stop dressing LO in onesies? Maybe when they start potty training?

Re: Onesies-when do you stop wearing them?

• Options
    JCMJCM member
    I'm going to stop when we start potty training.  We use shot sleeve onesies in the summer & it gets way hotter here in TX than in Long Island so your DS should be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    RaeAntRaeAnt member
    I pretty much stopped a couple of months again when DS was wearing more 24 months stuff. While i have some 24 months onsies, they don't really fit in  length.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD has a couple onesies, but, for the most part, I am no longer a fan of onesies. I never really dressed her in just a onesie and, now, a onesie seems like a bigger PITA than just a pair of shorts. However, DD has a couple of blue jean skirts that she got for her birthday that do not have a "diaper cover" built into the skirt. So, I think she'll definitely be wearing a onesie with the skirts, so that she doesn't flash her diaper whenever she bends over.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I stopped buying onesies when DS started walking.  They just didn't seem that practical anymore since he was walking everywhere so it's not like his shirt was riding up.  He still has one that ILs bought for him.  I see no problem with him wearing them now but I like the look of regular shirts much better.  Rompers, on the other hand, I stopped putting on him after 12 months... they're just a little too infant-like.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    Maybe just me, but after DS was a year, I thought he looked so much more grown up in just pants and shirts.  My DD is much smaller, so she's still wearing some, but now that it's getting hotter i think she likes shirts better.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    image&nbspimage
  • Options

imageAutumnBride929:
    I stopped buying onesies when DS started walking.  They just didn't seem that practical anymore since he was walking everywhere so it's not like his shirt was riding up.  He still has one that ILs bought for him.  I see no problem with him wearing them now but I like the look of regular shirts much better.  Rompers, on the other hand, I stopped putting on him after 12 months... they're just a little too infant-like.

Totally agree about the rompers-they were great last summer but too "babyish" now

• Options
    I still put the onesie under any shirts that DS wears. He doesn't just wear a onesie.
  • Options
    ckmommyckmommy member
    If my son doesn't wear a onesie I risk the chance of him stripping everything off including the diaper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I still put DS in onesie's with his shorts or jeans - but this is mainly because he isn't walking yet - however, he is walking now in short spurts and anyday now will be walking all the time.  I don't plan to buy anymore.  He has a good amount in the 12-18 month size.  We should be set for the summer either with a onesie or with shirts.
  • Options
    DD is almost 22 months and still wears them but I don't plan on buying any in 24 months and up. She's little and can still wear 12 month onesies so we will use the ones she has and only buy regular shirts going forward. When I started PTing DS, I stopped using them because they were more annoying than anything else.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options
    I am the opposite. Maybe because we do CD. I hated onesies because they hid her cute diapers. I love her in shirts and skirts, dresses, or pants. We stopped buying onesies after 9 months. She maybe 1 or 2 12 month sizes in the closet.
  • Options
    I just bought a pack because on the warmer days and nights that's what DS is sleeping in. And if we are just having a day at home he wears them too. This will probably be the last summer for it though because they won't be easy with potty training. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like onesies on boys as long as they can fit into them, maybe 24 months? I like the onesies with shorts and then a button down shirt over the onesie, think kacki shorts with a plaid button down with a plain colored onesies underneath-  I think it looks better to not have the shirt always riding up.

That being said, DD doesnt wear onesies anymore, mostly becasue she's wears a lot of dresses, and capri's with the long tunics. I am not a fan of pants or shorts with tucked in shirts for girls. I wouldnt wear my shirts tucked in- so why would I put that on DD.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think 18 months is the last size that we have very many in. After that, they get harder and harder to find. DD1 outgrew 18-month size long before she hit 24 months, and loooong before we started doing PTing beyond casual practice sessions. 

DD2 is wearing most of DD1's clothes, and I don't plan on keeping her in onesies any longer than I did DD1. I don't care if her diaper peeks out of regular pants without a onesie. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    I will stop using them for the kids when they stop fitting in them. I love onesies.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imagePK2:
    I still put the onesie under any shirts that DS wears. He doesn't just wear a onesie.

My DD still wears them.. she's 17 months.. we're on Long Island, too.  I consider it like an undershirt...? I think in the heat of the summer I won't put them on her under her clothes.... but she may sleep in them with pj pants/short?

As for rompers.... I think they're cute.. I love the one piece outfits.. especially the ones that are like dresses...but attached.  To me.. she's still a baby (even though I'm having another this summer!)....  Smile

• Options
    I stopped when DD was around 11 or 12 months. Diaper changes are hard enough never mind trying to snap the bottoms as well! She won't sit still very long.
  • Options
    benkaribenkari member
    I got rid of them for the most part last summer.  Even though they were still crawling I know I was warm in one shirt so assumed they would be too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I hate onesies.  Just one more thing to snap for a toddler who doesn't want to sit still.  I can't think of any benefit to them at all.  I don't like the way they look on walking babies, and in South Florida there is never a season where you would need an undershirt.  (the whole idea of undershirts is foreign here!)  We stopped at around 1 year.
  • Options
    As long as he can still physically wear them and before he is potty trained.
    image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10
  • Options
    As far as I know they're only made up to 24 month size... so I guess once your LO is in 2T.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options

We slowed down at around 12 months but still had a couple.  But she worse some to daycare this winter (18months-23 months) since they spend a lot of time outdoors and winters can be pretty harsh here.  I hoped it would protect her skin a little more. 

I found diaper changes so much harder with a onesie after DD became mobile.  I do not plan to buy any for this DD in the future.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    CTri17CTri17 member

I stopped before a year, I hated undoing them.

We do a little relaxed ECing so it's easier for her to be in a dress or shorts/shirt

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options

I stopped using them last summer for the most part, but then started again in the winter.

After waking up this morning to Jake half naked in his crib, a diaper on the floor and poop all over the place. He'll be wearing onesies to bed for the foreseeable future.

• Options

I'm going to stop when DD stops taking off her diaper when she's poopy :)

No seriously, it's the only item of clothing she can't get off.  

• Options
    DS used to wear them under his clothes and pajamas during the winter as an undershirt until he was 2.  Then I started buying regular white Hanes T-shirts.  I never put a onesie or undershirt on during warm weather though.
  • Options
    Right now (and for the last year) Cedric has only wore onsies under his other clothes (t-shirts or long sleeved shirts).  I don't like the look of onsies as the main shirts so don't buy them.  I just don't like his belly showing when it is cold out so that is why he wears them now.  Probably this is the last month that he will wear them at all, I will just buy normal undershirts from now on.  So 20 months old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"