Breastfeeding
Options

Can I pump PRIOR to delivery?

I am having a repeat CS, and last time, after my CS, my milk NEVER came in.  I tried to nurse, and I pumped for four weeks.  I NEVER had a supply or ever felt any engorgement despite using the hospital grade pump.  I am wondering that if I can start trying to pump a week before my scheduled CS, even if I don't get anything, will it help prepare my breasts/hormones to breastfeed?  Please, I know this sounds stupid, but I am DESPERATE to be successful this time and PETRIFIED that I won't be.  TIA!

Re: Can I pump PRIOR to delivery?

• Options

It's just going to cause you to go into labor. Leave your poor breasts alone and consult an LC prior to delivery about your past issues. They may suggest herbs or pumping very early on.

You won't start making milk by pumping before hand. Delivering is what causes your body to produce milk. I would have discussed the no milk issue with an OB and LC the last time.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    I discussed this issue with my OB, FOUR lactation consultants, and THREE midwives.  I was put on Raglan (something like 9 pills several times a day.)  I used teas and herbs.  My birth experience was highly traumatic as I felt them cutting into me and had to be given ketamine (worst experience of my life.)  I wasn't able to hold the baby until MANY hours afterwards, let alone nurse.  Basically, my hormones didn't seem to register that I had given birth (can happen to prolactin levels as a result of trauma.)  I am highly anxiety-ridden, so I fear that another CS will just bring the fear of my previous experience back to me, and my hormones will be surpressed again.  My thought is that pumping early, before the "traumatic" experience occurs, it may ease my body into understanding that a baby is arriving.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It is my understanding that delivering the placenta is what triggers your hormones and your body to begin lactating.  You can leak colostrum before that but won't actually be producing milk.  And pumping before hand can start labor and usually isn't recommended.  Plus pumping, regardless of pump, is not a good indicator of supply.  Some women have an awesome supply and do not respond to the pump.  Try to nurse LO as much as possible.

All of that said, I would definitely talk to an LC about your fears ahead of time and maybe even seek therapy depending on how much time you have left.  If you start out super stressed it is not going to help.  The beginning is rough for almost everyone even without having any major issues.  I'm sorry you had such a traumatic experience.  Sending good thoughts your way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options

imagejenna1008:
    I discussed this issue with my OB, FOUR lactation consultants, and THREE midwives.  I was put on Raglan (something like 9 pills several times a day.)  I used teas and herbs.  My birth experience was highly traumatic as I felt them cutting into me and had to be given ketamine (worst experience of my life.)  I wasn't able to hold the baby until MANY hours afterwards, let alone nurse.  Basically, my hormones didn't seem to register that I had given birth (can happen to prolactin levels as a result of trauma.)  I am highly anxiety-ridden, so I fear that another CS will just bring the fear of my previous experience back to me, and my hormones will be suppressed again.  My thought is that pumping early, before the "traumatic" experience occurs, it may ease my body into understanding that a baby is arriving.

I'm sorry I assumed you didn't get help the last time, I guess it was how your OP was worded. I can imagine what a traumatic experience that was and I'm sure your delivery and hormones really contributed to you not making milk. To answer your original question, no your body won't think that the baby is coming if you start pumping, it won't help milk production. It will just serve to make your nipples sore and possibly start contractions.

In the end all you can do is hope your body cooperates and have support in place directly after birth. Seeking help now will be great and I agree with PP's suggestion of therapy and going over your concerns with your OB and an LC. I wouldn't beat myself up over such an obvious physical issue, if I had all that against me I would thank my lucky stars formula was available. Good luck.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options

Also after this c/s make sure and have the baby given to you if possible.  I have heard that some places will allow it while they stitch you back up because there really isn't anything wrong with it, and it can help the hormones overcome the stress of the c/s.  You can also request that the baby be with you in recovery (if at all possible) and the hospital should honor that.  It might help get breastfeeding started if nothing else. 

Good Luck!  I think you are on the right track though making sure everyone is on the same page with this baby after your experience with baby 1.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"