North Florida Babies
Options

are childbirth classes necessary, in your opinion

Baptist Downtown has an all-day class that goes over labor, delivery and all the other details of childbirth. Has anyone been to this? Do you think childbirth classes are necessary, or just extra helpful? 
Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11

Re: are childbirth classes necessary, in your opinion

• Options

I think it kind of depends on what you are looking for in your birth experience and your personality. If you like to understand what is happening and what to expect, I think it is a necessity. If you are super go with the flow and don't care for details, you may be fine. 

If you are wanting a natural (non-medicated) delivery, I think a class is important. The coping strategies are very helpful.

For me, if I would have had a hospital birth, I would have taken some sort of class. But, i like to understand how things work. I would have been on edge not understanding the labor/birth process. However, my BFF went into labor never having picked up a book, asked a question, taken a class and was just fine. She hates details.

GL! 

• Options
    It really depends on the person. i took them with my first and honestly it didn't help at all. Now, so much of that is available via books, internet, etc. It may help you feel more prepared but like I said, it is about the person.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think at the very least it makes you more comfortable with the facility and how they do things...when it comes down to it that baby is going to decide how things go :-) ...but i know the class helped me understand how my day would be planned out at the facility and that eased my anxiety Smile
    **Janice** New Mom...Student...Wife...Exhausted and loving it! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    I found my class to be very helpful.  It helped me understand more of what was going on the day of delivery.  And they breathing techniques that were taught to us came in handy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you're planning to deliver in a hospital with an epidural and going with the flow with what your OB suggest, I really don't think it is all that important.

I would have gone out of my mind without it, simply because I'm the type of person who has to know exactly what is happening with me and why.  I have had anxiety issues in the past, and fully understanding what was happening with my body allowed me to relax and have the med-free birth experience I wanted :)

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

I am pregnant with my first and actually took the whole day marathon class at Baptist Downtown this past Saturday. I can't say exactly how much it's going to help me until I actually give birth (in July), but it definitely eased my mind. I have read all the books, and done a lot of research, but I am the type of person who can't have too much knowledge- even if when the time comes, I can't remember it!

I will say, that I had not learned anything about breathing techniques before the class. Again, I don't know how helpful it will be until the big day, but I feel better knowing how I can cope, if need be. It was pretty interesting.

The nurse who taught the class was extremely knowledable, and I feel as though I learned a great deal about how my labor will go in general from her.

I also took the tour which I must say took a huge load off of my shoulders, it really helps to see where you're actually supposed to go, and what you're supposed to do.

Overall, I would say I'm glad I chose to go to the class, it was my ENTIRE Saturday, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm going to be giving up a lot of Saturdays for my daughter, so why not start now?

Elizabeth Anniversary
  • Options
    I didnt take any with my first but I wanted to go all natural. I was induced and that was the only medication I had. But I had an awesome nurse who helped me so much through it, and an awesome hubbs who was doing great as a breathing coach and masseuse ;) I do not have that very high of a pain tolerence and it took alot for me not to give up, my nurse was very proud (and surprised) because I had not taken any classes. I agree with the above, it depends on the person and whether or not your at a facility that supports you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"