School-Aged Children

Xp - to small for booster seat?

Re: Xp - to small for booster seat?

• imagelilmommalcw:

Quoting to see the link

Check your state laws.  Some have specfic ages and/or weights (usually 4 and 40 pounds) but some have something about "proper use" so that means you have to check the seat he has to be sure it is for kids that weight (some boosters are okay for that size but others start at 40 pounds).  Probably what he is doing is legal so all you can really do is give him some info about carseat safety and possibly offer to help pay for a more appropriate seat. 

That being said, my 4 y/o occasionally rides in a highback booster but usually is in a 5pt harness. 

• A 4 year old is absolutely too "immature" to be able to sit correctly at all times in a booster seat that uses the vehicle's seat belt. 

Are you going to be able to make his dad aware of the dangers of doing this? When you talk to him I hope that he is open and listens. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I disgree. A 4yo can be mature enough for short trips or when someone is watching them etc. I let my 4yo use a booster this weekend when my mom was in town but she was watched carefully and did great. Will she be using it again anytime soon, probably not, but it's nice to know she did well in case she needs to again in the future. As a carseat tech though I don't generally recommend a booster full time till 5, preferrably closer to 6 or 6 though. My oldest didn't move to one full time till a few mos after 7 and not from lack of trying, he just couldn't handle it. My 6.5 and 4yo are still harnessed. The Evenflo Maestro is a nice priced seat that harnesses to 50# and then turns into a booster.
    Jennifer, wife, CPST, birth Doula, LPN to BSN student, and 3x VBAC mama to AJ (8, Evan (7), Ilana (5),Olivia (2), and 8/24/12!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"