2nd Trimester

Is it safe to eat poppy seed muffins while pregnant?

So yesterday my husband came home with those beautiful poppy seed muffins from Costco and I was about to fully inhale one when he stopped me and said "Wait- is it safe for the baby?" I looked it up on the internet- big mistake! The answers are all really dumb and ridiculous.They seem to be based on personal beliefs and not fact. I left a message for my Dr but still haven't heard back....... and those muffins keep calling my name! Does anyone truly know if it is ok to eat poppy seed muffins while pregnant? I'm 26 weeks right now. Thanks guys!! 

Re: Is it safe to eat poppy seed muffins while pregnant?

• I certainly hope so. I've been dying for some lemon poppy seed muffins for weeks now. =/ I really don't understand why they wouldn't be
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I imagine your concern is because of the poppy seeds and that they are used to make drugs. I have never heard of not being able to eat poppy seeds during pregnancy. It sounds ridiculous. But if you are truly concerned then I guess it's good you put in a call to your doctor. Please let us know what he/she says, I'm really interested.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• Loading the player...
  • Well I ate two last week and baby is fine! I'm pretty sure you can fully indulge!

• I don't know the answer either. My mom said I probably shouldn't. Just because of the fact that poppy seeds show up in urine tests...she thinks that can affect something?? I have no idea. I made a batch and DH hid them from me!! What a brat.
    kaylinsig1tubbab1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Compromise and Balance are key. JH.

• Poppy seeds will make you test positive for Opium. So, unless you are in a line of work where you regularly get drug tested (Cop, pro athlete etc.) you have nothing to worry about. When you do urine samples at your doctor, they don't test for opium, so no worries there either.

Just fine and safe if you are pregnant :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If lemon poppy seed muffins were in any way dangerous I highly doubt they would be so readily available for public consumption.  While I'm pretty sure it's true that eating anything with poppy seeds can cause a positive opium result on a drug test, I highly doubt it's anything of particular concern or folks who'd innocently popped one of these muffins the morning before a routine pre-employment drug test would be getting in trouble left and right for their supposed drug habits.  You'd probably make yourself sick from stuffing yourself with muffins before you consumed enough of them to cause dangerous levels of opium in your system.  Just eat the muffins!

// I love you too. //

• imageFirefightersWife01:

Poppy seeds will make you test positive for Opium. 

you'll only test positive if you eat them every single day for a long time.  I love them and have never tested positive for opiates due to them.  happy muffin eating!  

imageimage

• It may have happened to Elaine on Seinfeld, but in reality it's a myth that poppy seeds eaten in normal quantities can cause positive drug tests. Yes, they come from the same plants that produce opium, but you would have to eat them in extremely vast quantities (think POUNDS at a time) to come close to registering on a drug test. As for hurting the baby, I would be utterly shocked if they caused harm--- the notion just seems absurd. Chances are that they go right through you. I make a delicious honey-poppy seed dressing that I haven't thought twice about eating while pregnant. I would relax and enjoy your muffin.
  • Ella&CElla&C member
    You would have to eat dozens of muffins to consume enough seeds to be a health risk. Which, I presume none of us want to do anyhow, because of the weight gain, yes? You enjoy those muffins!
  • imageFirefightersWife01:

Poppy seeds will make you test positive for Opium. So, unless you are in a line of work where you regularly get drug tested (Cop, pro athlete etc.) you have nothing to worry about. When you do urine samples at your doctor, they don't test for opium, so no worries there either.

Just to add to this you have to eat VERY large amounts of poppy seeds for it to show up in your urine. More than anyone would actually eat in one sitting, esp if it were just on a bun or muffin.

• It's not something I was told not to eat... I love poppy seed bagels.
  • Ritzy19Ritzy19 member
    I'm sure they're just fine to eat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• From what I have read there are some old wives tales that lemon and poppyseed cakes and muffins are used to induce labor.  I read some weird article about it a few weeks ago and now I can't find it.

Eat the muffin! Though I am jealous, they don't make them where I live :(

Crayola, Crayola Rocks!
    White Knot White Knot White Knot White Knot White Knot
    White Knot Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mythbusters did the poppy seed drug test myth - it took 3 poppy seed bagels or one piece of poppy seed cake to test positive, so it doesn't take TOO much!

• I read a crazy story once where a mom tested positive for opiates at birth because of her daily everything bagel. Opiates leave your system quickly anyways, as in, you can do actual cocaine and be clean in 3-4 days (I think), so as long as you're not eating them daily close to your due date, I think you're fine.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bnikbnik member
    IVe Been ReallY SickMy Whole 17 Weeks Of Pregnancy AnD I Eat A Lot Of Things That Dont Smell. That Being Said I Ate HalfA Lemon Poppyseed Cake ByMyself At Week 10 And My Baby Is Perfectly Fine
  • Poppy seeds will make you test positive for Opium. So, unless you are in a line of work where you regularly get drug tested (Cop, pro athlete etc.) you have nothing to worry about. When you do urine samples at your doctor, they don't test for opium, so no worries there either.

You would have to eat about a million poppy seed muffins for that to show up on a drug test.  They busted that on myth busters about 5 years ago.
    Met DH: 2.5.2008
    Engaged: 4.9.11
    Married: 9.22.12
    Baby Girl J Born: 1.23.2014 via c section - Due with Baby #2: 5.27.2016
  • apostle85 said:

Poppy seeds will make you test positive for Opium. So, unless you are in a line of work where you regularly get drug tested (Cop, pro athlete etc.) you have nothing to worry about. When you do urine samples at your doctor, they don't test for opium, so no worries there either.

You would have to eat about a million poppy seed muffins for that to show up on a drug test.  They busted that on myth busters about 5 years ago.
    As I mentioned above, on Mythbusters they tested positive after a piece of poppy seed cake!  So, Myth Confirmed!

• You can eat them they aren't harmful.. just don't eat a lot before a drug test other wise you will show positive for poppy. 

• They're fine. I ate 2 pieces of toast with poppy seeds in the bread the morning I took a urine drug test for my job - nothing showed - you would have to eat a *lot* for anything to show up on a drug test. Eat the muffin. Baby won't be hurt by it.

• I also read about the mom who's baby was taken away for about four months right after birth because she tested positive at birth because she ate a bagel. It's totally true. I would not eat one too close to the end.
  • My sister just gave birth to a healthy 9lb baby girl, she ate them her whole pregnancy.

Enjoy! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"