November 2011 Moms
Options

Is it wrong....

To be completely frightened at the thought of breastfeeding?  I know that I want to do it for my baby's sake, but the very thought makes me cringe.  Hopefully once the baby is born it will come "naturally", but I can't say that I'm thrilled about the idea of it right now.  Since this is my first baby, I have no idea what it's going to be like. I'm terrified!  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is it wrong....

• Options
    Don't worry. You can get a lactation consultant to help you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am also frightened of it, you're not alone there. What if it's a biter? Yikes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think I have to keep myself in a constant state of giddiness in order NOT to frighten myself about everything baby-related! Though, for me, the process of birth trumps breastfeeding!
  • Options

I breastfed twins and I am terrified to do it again, even though it is only one. I keep telling myself it will be easier, but all I remember is the bad. The soreness, scabs, mastitis, frustration, and lack of sleep. Not a fond memory.

But I am six years older, wiser, and more prepared, and I am only having one! My goal is to relax and enjoy breastfeeding as much as possible.I'm going to make sure I am doing it correctly and feel confident before going it alone.

So point is...I'm scared too, but still planning on it! 

• Options
    A little, but I figure I can go to a lactation consultant for help. I'm a lot more nervous about the actual birth.
  • Options

Before Zoe was born I remember dreaming that she was sucking the life out of me when she was nursing - yikes!

However, once we were really doing it, it was wonderful. If baby is latched correctly nursing should not hurt at all!  Looking back, if I could have done something differently, instead of reading so many pregnancy books I should have read some books on nursing and on baby sleep patterns :-)

Nursing the new baby is one thing I am really looking forward to this time around.  

• Options

The idea of my body producing food terrifies me, and to be honest it grosses me out if I think about it for too long.  I'm sure if I was raised in a culture that felt differently I'd be fine with it, but I wasn't.  My mother didn't breastfeed me and I wasn't close to any women who breastfed their children growing up. 

I'm planning on breastfeeding/pumping, given the benefits and the economic value, so I'm working to overcome it now.  I'm hoping it will come naturally, but if it doesn't, there are lactation consultants who can help (my MIL used to work as one)or I will just pump exclusively.  I still need to get over it, though. 

"I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing."

• Options
    Check out the womanly art of breastfeeding (not sure of the author) and the breastfeeding book (by Sears). I don't remember being worried about breastfeeding and was fortunate to never have mastitis or other issues. It hurt at first & pumping hurt sometimes (especially when my supply dropped and I was trying to get as much as possible & using too much suction), but I didn't find it to be painful overall. I only have bad memories of pumping and the stress at the end. You'll be fine!
  • Options
    Its ok to be scared of it. And you don't have to think about it until you need to do it. Even if you just try and can't do it, at least you did that much. Trust me, your child will not be worse off if you don't. Make sure the place where you're going to deliver has lactation consultants on staff. They are very knowledgable and caring when it comes to learning to overcome your fears, and can tell you what to expect from yourself and the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"