Health & Exercise

Postpartum knee pain with running

Hi ladies,

I had my second baby 9 weeks via a c-section (first one was vaginal) and I'm trying to get back into my running routine.  Before I had DS I was running 3-4 times a week and had completed 2 1/2 marathons.  I ran a little while I was pregnant but stopped after a 10 mile race (which was very slow due to all my bathroom breaks, ha) at 5 months, mainly because things got too busy and the weather turned cold.

Because I had a c-section I waited until around 7 weeks postpartum to start running again.  I started by walking for 1 minute every 5 minutes (30 minutes total) and jogging slowly and working up to walking every 10 minutes.  I was doing great but this past week I started developing severe knee pains around my knee cap, and now it even hurts to walk.  I had something similar after my first baby but I don't remember it being this painful.  

I'm guessing maybe I overdid it?  I'm still a good 20 lbs over my pre-baby weight so possibly my knees aren't used to carrying the extra weight.  Any advice/suggestions?  I was thinking about doing the couch to 5k program but I don't know if I should wait until my knee feels 100% better or just tough if out.  I also bought the 30 day shred dvd so that's an option as well.  I'm signed up for an 8k run/walk in about 3 weeks but I'm totally ok with having a slower time...  but I do have a 1/2 marathon Labor Day weekend that I'm working towards.

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Postpartum knee pain with running

• Might be time for new shoes!
    imageimage
  • Hmmm good point.  I do have new shoes that are the same Brooks shoes I'm wearing now, just a newer model.  I have very narrow and flat feet so I make sure to get fitted each time I get new shoes.  I had a groupon for a running store that expired literally a week before my c-section so I didn't get a chance to properly try out my new shoes...  maybe I'll slip those on the next time I run and see if that makes a difference.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards