Adoption

Announcement Question..

This might be a stupid question but... Right now we are in a legal risk placement as they are having to terminate the birthfathers rights. They are not concerned about it but I was curious when we should send announcements. I wish I could go ahead and send them but I'm wondering if we should wait until the rights of the birth dad have been terminated? Her birth mom will not give any information about him so it's not that he won't sign, we just don't know who he is unfortunately. 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Announcement Question..

• I would wait...It's just me but anytime there is a slight chance I would rather be safe. I always look at the pros-and cons.. Pro to waiting.. you get to celebrate when it it official.. cons to waiting... you have to wait.. pros to sending.. you get to tell everyone right now.. cons to sending.. you would have to tell everyone if it fell through.
    Happily Ever After is so much fun Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Visit The Nest! Married June 2007 Started TTC August 2010 Diagnosed with PCOS March 2011 Started Process to become Foster Parents September 2012
  • We are in the same situation.  No one is worried, but we are having to 'wait it out' and advertise for the birth father.  I decided to send announcements.  Finalization for us won't be until DS is about 6-8 months old, and I wanted people to know about him before then (we had a suuuuper fast placement - not many people knew we were adopting even).  I decided that if something DID happen, the people who received announcements would be the ones who I would want to support us in that situation. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't finalize until Luke was 9 months old, but since he was born right before Christmas, we sent a birth announcement/christmas card. I understand why people wait, but I couldn't. I also agree with Katiej, if something were to have fallen through, we would need the support of the people who got the announcements.

Do whatever you feel is right.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • We had a similar situation.  We had to wait the 30 days for them to search the putative father registry before rights were terminated.

We waited until after the 30 days.  She was born in early November and we just sent combo Christmas cards/announcements in mid-September.  Most of my friends who have biological babies, seem to wait 6-8 weeks, so it didn't seem unusual to me.

ETA:  We did not wait for finalization to send announcements.  We just waited until after all rights had been terminated.

• imageMamaB2009:

We had a similar situation.  We had to wait the 30 days for them to search the putative father registry before rights were terminated.

We waited until after the 30 days.  She was born in early November and we just sent combo Christmas cards/announcements in mid-September.  Most of my friends who have biological babies, seem to wait 6-8 weeks, so it didn't seem unusual to me.

ETA:  We did not wait for finalization to send announcements.  We just waited until after all rights had been terminated.

This exactly to a T. We waited until BF rights were terminated but not until finalization. We just finalized when she 5.5 months old, I wanted people to know long before that.
  • UGH...and I meant December...not September.  Stupid Mommybrain.
  • imageMamaB2009:
    UGH...and I meant December...not September.  Stupid Mommybrain.
    I knew what you meant ;)
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm going to wait and talk to the attorney to see what the timeline looks like for terminating his rights. I don't mind waiting a month or so, but I don't really want to wait longer than that! Everyone knows about her already, I just want to send cute cards with pictures! :) 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We waited until TPR was complete for both birthparents. It took 6 months, but it was still exciting to send out announcements :)
  • We brought DD home on 9/23 and sent annoucements out right before Halloween. I wanted everyone to know about DD before we attended a holiday event and no one knew who the toddler was.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"