Single Parents
Options

contesting child support

My Ex received his letter from the state yesterday telling him how much he is to start paying me in child support. He says the amount in ridiculous (1100) and that he is contesting it.

Whats going to happed now? Will they give me that amount until its contested? Do you think they will change it? I pay that much alone for child care a month so i am doubtfull they will. I told him the judge wont care about his personal expenses.

tia for the advice :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: contesting child support

• Options

If it was calculated by the state, they should have taken both his and your income and expenses into account already.  At least that's how it is in CT.  I doubt they will modify it to let him pay less unless you allow some kind of exception.  

In my situation, I wanted to allow my XH to pay a little less because I will make a lot more money than he will, and the state actually wouldn't let me say that.  I had to claim that my parents help me out in order for the reduction to be allowable.  (Which they do, so I wasn't lying, but the real reason was that he doesn't have much earning potential and I do.)  So at least here, I don't think his argument would fly (as long as it was the state who originally calculated the amount). 

• Options
    I wish I got that much! I only get $149 a month but it's because ex has a crappy job and 2 other kids. I spend $175 a month on formula alone but it's better than nothing I suppose.
    DD1 born 11.23.10
    DD2 born 4.16.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback :) I hope that this whole thing is over soon. Just seems like a constant battle for everything
  • Options
    My ex does not have a real job right now he works "under the table".  If i file for c/s i will get 87 dollars a month because as far as the court sees his income is zero.  So crazy its almost not worth my time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"