Natural Birth
Options

Intro to natural birth board

Hi, 19w 5d here and hoping for a natural birth. I have done research and reading online a lot since finding out I am pregnant on going natural. After a recent OB visit, this week, I decided that I should switch OBs. This came after a recent interview (the night before the appt w/ OB)  with a local doula whom had not so super experiences with the hospital I had chosen through my insurance. The OB was not for any other pushing position other than on my back and the hospital's policy was 12 hours for labor. I felt that both of those policies put limits on my birthing goals so I decided to change to a different OB and hospital in my area. I guess I am looking for feedback. What else should I keep in mind when interviewing this new OB and taking the new hospital tour to help my chances of natural birth success. BTW, my doula is also a licensed MW in the state and also does hypnobirthing and birth education classes. I feel like with her, I have the full package.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Thitsaboyblue Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: Intro to natural birth board

• Options

welcome!  is there a reason that you don't want to deliver with your doula/mw? 

~ i would want to know what your new dr's policy is regarding inductions (what methods do they use) and post date babies.  what they do when a patient goes over her due date.

~ what is their c/s rate.

~ are they trained in vaginal breech birth deliveries.

~ episiotomy rates

~ policy on water births, if you're interested in that

~ delayed cord cutting, if important to you

~ does the hosp have a lactation consultant, or will your doula/mw be around in the postpartum period to help with that.

there are a million things i can think of, hopefully this will get you started.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi, Texas77again, thank you for replying.

I am not delivering with my doula/mw because I am not doing a homebirth and there are no birthing centers in my area. DH and I talked about it and he felt more comfortable with a hospital setting. Also I am active duty military and although I know of other members that have delivered at home, I'm not sure if that's actually acceptable with TRICARE.

My doula is a lactation consultant and will be available to me postpartum.

As for the other topics you hit on. I will be sure to have those on hand for my first visit with new OB and ask the hospital as well on the tour. I have already scheduled the hospital tour.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's a very rare OB these days who is trained in/open to vaginal delivery of a breech baby (at least in my area), so I wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker for you.

Have you and your MW/doula worked on a birth plan together?  Ideally you could take your birth plan in to your appointment with the new OB and ask them if that kind of a birth is something that would be possible with them, or if there were particular parts of it that they would not be able to accommodate.  That would give you a good sense.   

BabyFruit Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

About breech delivery: that's exactly what my doula said. She has delivered 15 breech babies....all home births.

I have worked out a birthplan...one that I found on here, printed out and filled in but will be having our first meeting with her on Wednesday so I will share it with her and if we need to change anything, I'm open to that.

• Options
    Although this is not about the birth per se, you might also want to ask about the hospital's policy on mom/baby separation. For instance, it was very important that I was never separated from my LO, even during tests. I never left her side the entire time; I even wheeled her to the nursery for her newborn screening.

I actually arrived at the hospital fully dilated so I don't have much experience there, but being able to move around was key at home. So I'd ask about intermittent monitoring
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    welcome!
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    imageNechie122:
    Although this is not about the birth per se, you might also want to ask about the hospital's policy on mom/baby separation. For instance, it was very important that I was never separated from my LO, even during tests. I never left her side the entire time; I even wheeled her to the nursery for her newborn screening.

I actually arrived at the hospital fully dilated so I don't have much experience there, but being able to move around was key at home. So I'd ask about intermittent monitoring
    I do know that the hospital that I am delivering at has bluetooth fetal monitoring. You wear the device and it sends that readings back to a machine in the room. However, I am not sure about the hospital's policy on separation so that's a good question that I need to ask. I do know that I can keep my little guy in my room for the duration of our stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"