Toddlers: 24 Months+

Scabies - question

Someone in DS's class at school has been diagnosed with scabies.  It is my understanding that you can be contagious without symptoms.  Is this true?  My big question is how long should I be on the lookout for symptoms?  His last exposure was yesterday afternoon.  We are going on vacation next week.  Is it possible for symptoms to develop much later than initial infection??

Re: Scabies - question

• https://www.babycenter.com/0_scabies_11387.bc

https://pediatricplanet.com/aftercare.aspx?i=64

Once treated, the child is no longer contagious. Before treatment - it is highly contagious!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would talk to your Pedi about this for sure. I *think* that they can actually give something for treatment even before you see symptoms in the case that you know you've been exposed. Even if the other child is not contagious after starting treatment, I think that the scabies could still be on stuff at the daycare, etc, so I would be concerned.

Again, this all what I've *heard*. Do more research and let your pedi know. HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • nmb02nmb02 member

I had a student with scabies in my classroom a couple of weeks ago. The student has been out for a week and have treatment.

My classroom had to sprayed with lice spray all over. All toys had to be sprayed and then wiped off after the spray was on them for so long. The tables, chairs, walls, and basically any surface had to be sprayed and then re-wiped down.  We found out the student had scabies on Thrusday afternoon. Friday is when we did all the cleaning and did not allow the students in until it was clean. I have really low functioning students and they put everything in their mouths and drool.

Over the weekend my room was bombed for the scabies. We again had to wipe everything off before the students came in Monday Morning.

As for the unaffected students and myself and TAs, we could show symptons of scabies 2-7 weeks after the exposure.

• shannmshannm member
    imagenmb02:

I had a student with scabies in my classroom a couple of weeks ago. The student has been out for a week and have treatment.

My classroom had to sprayed with lice spray all over. All toys had to be sprayed and then wiped off after the spray was on them for so long. The tables, chairs, walls, and basically any surface had to be sprayed and then re-wiped down.  We found out the student had scabies on Thrusday afternoon. Friday is when we did all the cleaning and did not allow the students in until it was clean. I have really low functioning students and they put everything in their mouths and drool.

Over the weekend my room was bombed for the scabies. We again had to wipe everything off before the students came in Monday Morning.

As for the unaffected students and myself and TAs, we could show symptons of scabies 2-7 weeks after the exposure.

Thanks, this is what I was afraid of. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"