Cincinnati Babies

Anyone have a baby who never crawled?

Sam still isn't crawling at almost 9 months. Now Katherine didn't crawl until this age so it's not terribly strange but he just doesn't seem to get it when we put him on his knees. He keeps moving his body so that he is on his feet and hands like a bear crawl position but he doesn't go anywhere. He eventually ends up on his stomach complaining. He is far happier standing at a table or else rolling around. But I think he wants to be mobile and gets frustrated that he can't move.

The pediatrician is not concerned yet but I am starting to get concerned. Did anyone's child not crawl and just go straight to walking? Or did anyone have a late crawler? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone have a baby who never crawled?

• FWIW, B started cruising and crawling on the same exact day- 8 mos old.  It was a matter of him figuring out how to move his legs.  And he was fully walking across the room at 10 mos to the day.. so things can change in the blink of an eye. 
  • Ellie didn't crawl until she was 10 months old. She didn't walk until 15.5 months. In between, she did that bear crawl for a long time. I wouldn't be concerned yet. He still has plenty of time.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Alex (at 10 and a half months) just crawled for the first time last week. I swear, it was like a Tuesday, and still that Monday when you would put him up on his knees, they would just fall out from under him. It's almost like it just happened. He's been cruising around tables for a few weeks and wants to stand and "walk" all.of.the.time.

I honestly think the only reason he started to crawl was because he wants to be up walking so bad. Alex was also amazing at rolling around the room to get where he needed to go. He never did the army crawl thing either. I'm sure it'll happen soon. I thought Alex was going to go straight to walking, but he surprised me this week.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My grandma says that my mom never crawled but walked early.

• Tyler didn't crawl until he was 11 months old.  He didn't army/bear crawl either.  I was pretty concerned about it, to be honest.  However, it didn't seem to bother him in the least.  The funny part was, he was a master at scooting around on his butt.  I honestly have no idea how he did it -- I never witnessed him doing it but all of a sudden, he'd be 3 feet across from where he was the last time you saw him.  It was the funniest thing.

He also didn't walk until he was nearly 16 months old.  Try not to be alarmed, I know it's hard, but he'll get it and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • DS didn't crawl til 10 months.  I'm pretty sure my brother never crawled at all....he walked really early.  If I remember correctly back to my school days....it can be normal for some kids to never crawl and go straight to cruising/walking.  I would mention it to the pedi if he's still not crawling at his next well baby check, but I would think if he's met all his other milestones and doesn't have floppy tone (which it sounds like all is normal) that there is nothing to be concerned about.
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS never really crawled, he spent the longest time scooting on his behind...it was the funniest and cutest thing ever as i Had never seen a kid do that before.  He eventually "crawled" but it didn't last very long because he preferred to scoot.  However, he was in PT for some motor delays, so we had to work with him to teach him to crawl/walk/sit up etc.

Now DD at 9.5 months is not crawling and shows no interest.  We try to position her in the crawling position she just flexes her legs out and pushes her arms out.  She also does not push herself up to her hands and knees.  Is he doing that?

I am concerned about DD only because of the issues I had with DS, and the pedi and I decided that if she is not making any improvements or progress by 10 months to do a PT eval...but she was not concerned, she just said it to make me feel better if I want to be more proactive.  I have mixed feelings as that quickly approaches.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes!  Well, I have a child who didn't crawl until after she started walking :)

My daughter rolled all over the place from very early on, started cruising around 10 months and was walking before her first birthday.  Shortly after her birthday she started crawling :)

It didn't worry our pedi either as she could roll and get herself into sitting and standing positions... so, it wasn't like she had any sort of issues with her body impeding her mobility or anything.

If he's rolling and standing I wouldn't worry about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"