Parenting
Options

High-back is safest, but is backless UNsafe?

DD1 is 5 years old, 44 inches tall and weighs 42 lbs.  She's in a high-back booster in DH's car.  We're traveling in a few weeks and DH would prefer to not schlep the high-back booster through the airport, I don't want to check it.

Assuming we position the belt properly, is it UNsafe for her to ride in a backless booster for a week while we're OOT?  I'm not finding much online about backless vs. high-back and when it's "okay" to switch.  I realize the head wings make the high-back the safest option...

(I'm trying to figure out how hard to dig in my heels with DH on this--I'd prefer bringing the high-back)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: High-back is safest, but is backless UNsafe?

• Options
    I would not be comfortable with it. In a wreck, her head and neck will not be protected without side impact protection. Is it UNsafe? IDK what to say here. Obviously it passes the tests, but the safety difference is huge at that age (compared to a high back with good side impact protection).
  • Options
    It all depends on where the seatbelt strap rests on your DD shoulder and if she can sit safely in the car without the back part of the booster.  Having the part on the back of the seat to put the belt through keeps the belt in the safest position if your child is not yet tall enough.  My DD is just under 42 inches and there is no way that I would let her sit in the booster without the back.  I have no clue if those 2 inches make a huge different or not but for me - I would be dragging the back part of the seat with me - you can check it all by sticking it into a bag and check it for free with your luggage.  I would check it - you are not allowed to use the booster seats on  the airplane and I doubt there will be room in the overhead bins for it so it will end up getting checked anyway.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD is almost 6.   She is in a backless booster (it had a back-Graco Turbo-Booster).  I can adjust the level of the seatbelt in the back (move it all the way down) to make it hit her shoulder in the correct spot.   DD started complaining about the back a while back...she sat better in the booster without the back. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageghm:
    I would not be comfortable with it. In a wreck, her head and neck will not be protected without side impact protection.

I'm not either.  As a mother--who pictures the what-ifs--I see a crash in my head and her head/neck doing what a crash test dummy does.  As a guy, all DH sees is the inconvenience to HIM carrying the damn thing around, not the what-ifs.

I think I have another solution but it will still take "selling" to DH.  Probably a good compromise.  I wanted to ask here to confirm my gut feeling, really.

Thanks for the response!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Is it not possible to buy one when you get there? If not, then I would lug the back with me. Better safe than sorry since you dont know how the seat belt will fit her. Were talking about our children here....There is no inconvienance when concerning their saftey. Remember, if youfeel the need to ask strangers what's safe for your child....its more than likely not safe. Either take it with you or buy one when you get there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"