Nurseries and Baby Gear

crib and changing table/dresser....thoughts?

(can't figure out how to post the pictures, every time I add the code, it just disappears...) 

I found this beautiful set on craigslist and sent my parents out to look at the set. The family that is selling it has taken wonderful care of it and it has gone through 2 children. I am mainly in love with the changer/dresser. Here is the thing, the crib is a child craft manufactured in '02. It had a recall on it where people were installing the front piece upside down so that the gap between the side and the dowel was 5" instead of 2 1/8" resulting in potential entrapment. Well, all the recall says is that stickers can be provided to clarify the correct side for installation. It seems like the only reason for the recall was the user error. I should be ok with this crib, right? I mean, if it went through 2 kids without a problem, it should be sturdy and safe, wouldn't you think? What are your thoughts, I might be having buyers remorse. (I got both pieces, a glider and a full pottery barn sheet/bumper set for $350 so it was really a ridiculously good deal.) 

kaylinsig1tubbab1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Compromise and Balance are key. JH.

Re: crib and changing table/dresser....thoughts?

• Ok...there we go, here they are.  

• Cribs, carseats, and open system breast pumps are the 3 things I refused to even consider used. And I definitely wouldn't consider one that has been through a recall. It may not be a death trap, but it wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

If you love the changing table, can you offer them a portion of the $ for just that? That's what I did, and even though the couple really wanted to sell it as a set they gave in when they didn't get any offers on the full set. (Of course the dresser I wanted was white, so it was pretty easy to buy a white crib to match)

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP about definately buying a brand new crib, car seat and breat pump. That being said, my parents bought a used crib for LO to be in at their home, which would be fairly infrequently so I'm not that upset about it. 

Offering part of the $$ for the dresser and the bedding might be a good compromise but in the end, it's your baby and you get to do whatever your comfortable with. If you did buy the whole set and decide you don't want it, you can always re-sell the crib. I did this with an item I bought and ended up making a bit of money off the deal.

:)   

• Yeah, I guess I could always sell the crib. Now I am just not sure if I should settle for this color or go with dark cherry or espresso which is what I have always had in mind for a nursery. I am just settling because of the awesome price, but maybe I shouldn't be so frugal...

• Call me crazy, but as long as that was every detail to the recall and you are guaranteed to have it installed properly, I wouldn't have a problem using it.  It sounds like the recall is more of a notification, they didn't stop making the crib and there was no replacement part necessary, I wouldn't worry about it - but I would definitely be doing major research to make sure that was all there is to it. 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• I called the company this morning and they said that was the only issue. They are sending me out the sticker kit to make sure it continues to be installed properly in the future. It is still a really good deal, even without the crib, so I think I am just going to buy and re sell if I hate it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"