Cincinnati Babies
Options

Invited to a random wedding, wwyd?

I just got a wedding invitation in the mail from someone neither DH or I have talked to in at LEAST 3 years. We don't know the bride (didn't even know he was dating/engaged). The only thing about this situation is that the groom introduced me to DH, kind of accidentally, we were all working together and I met the groom before meeting DH. Anyway, we didn't even invite this guy to our wedding because we lost touch with him shortly after he introduced us. DH met him through work, so it's not like they were friends long either. Sorry if this seems complicated- my question is, would it be completely rude not to send a gift? We can't attend the wedding (not sure that we would, anyway) because we already have an out of town wedding to attend the same weekend. wwyd?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Re: Invited to a random wedding, wwyd?

• Options
    I wouldn't go and wouldn't send a gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto what Miller said.  I wouldn't go, and I absolutely wouldn't feel bad about not sending a gift.
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with Miller. I'd definitely RSVP with my regrets and NOT feel obligated to send a gift.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks guys. I feel much better about the situation. I just didn't want to look like a huge jerk. Oh, and for rsvp, we are supposed to call or email with regrets only. I'm making DH send the email, but I'm thinking it could get awkward.
  • Options

This happened to me a few years ago - we were invited to a wedding of a girl I went to HS with.  We were friends but not extremely close.  She was not invited to our wedding.  We couldn't go due to being out of town.  We didn't go and did not send a gift either.  Maybe not the right thing "etiquette wise" to do, but it's what we did.

• Options

imageEmily2me:
    Ok, thanks guys. I feel much better about the situation. I just didn't want to look like a huge jerk. Oh, and for rsvp, we are supposed to call or email with regrets only. I'm making DH send the email, but I'm thinking it could get awkward.

I'm sorry, did I really just read that correctly? CALL or EMAIL?!?

• Options
    imageTtimes3:

imageEmily2me:

Uhh, yes. The worst part, this is the second wedding invitation that we have received within the last year with this type of rsvp.

• Options
    imageEmily2me:
    imageTtimes3:

imageEmily2me:

Uhh, yes. The worst part, this is the second wedding invitation that we have received within the last year with this type of rsvp.

Actually, I lied. The previous one was: call, TEXT, or email...yeah.

• Options
    imageEmily2me:
    imageEmily2me:
    imageTtimes3:

imageEmily2me:

Actually, I lied. The previous one was: call, TEXT, or email...yeah.

Indifferent

• Options
    I just got an invite for a girl I had as a student and worked in our office.  I'm not going, I am debating on sending a small gift like a gift card, but that's as far as I'm going to go with it.  I haven't seen or talked to her in more than 2 years. 
  • Options
    imageTtimes3:

imageEmily2me:

Ditto TTT.  

And seriously, if they are that gauche, then I don't even know if I'd RSVP.  Either that, or my email would say something like, "Sry, can't make it. Hope u have a gr8 day."

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options

imagesistrkate:
     my email would say something like, "Sry, can't make it. Hope u have a gr8 day."

CLASSIC!

• Options
    In those situations I send a nice card to say congratulations but not a gift.
  • Options

I am a bit etiquette driven.  I would RSVP no via email then send a small gift $15.00/$20.00

"Onward"--CathyMD Waiting since 07/5/2011 for our forever child! Yep we are adopting!
  • Options

imagesistrkate:
    And seriously, if they are that gauche, then I don't even know if I'd RSVP.  Either that, or my email would say something like, "Sry, can't make it. Hope u have a gr8 day."

bwahahha.

• Options
    I would send a nice card wishing them all the world's happiness.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I wouldn't send them anything. I may be looking at the glass half empty but I think people like this send out invites JUST for the gift.

Also, gag me with a spoon. Send an email? hell no.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"