Cincinnati Babies
Options

S/O - How are Ohio schools funded?

Here is one of the better (more concise) explanations that I could find, doing a very quick search.

Re: S/O - How are Ohio schools funded?

• Options
    Clear as mud, huh? Wink
  • Options

Actually, this is a really good explanation, thanks for providing it.

The cynic in me does not believe we will see a change in school funding before our kids are out of school.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Unfortunately, that's probably true; however, that said, it becomes even more imperative that fellow tax payers understand the importance of choosing to (a) supporting their local school districts by voting YES on levies (b) demanding change from their elected representatives (c) BOTH!

ETA: notice how bitching about how fiscally irresponsible the school board is and refusing to support the levy because you don't have kids and don't give a $hit isn't among the choices. Wink

• Options

I saw someone post awhile back in one of the school posts about how they read about irresponsible the school board was being with money and a lot of wasteful spending?

Again, i have no idea, but I was curious about that.

I have to say though- the more i read the more I am looking at private education.  It just scares me.  Not only that but I feel a tremendous about of sadness to lower income areas.  Just because the houses in your part of the state cost $40-$50k or even rural areas like farms that don't have high property tax rates- your kids get a lesser education???  It seems like the poverty stricken children get a double whammy- their families have no money AND they don't get any extra help in school to help them either.

I have a few years before we really have decide thank God.  I'll pray that the legislature and communities can help give our kids a good education and I will continue to educate myself on the situations.  I won't promise to blindly vote yes on every levy, but I will educate myself - which I think lends itself to helping schools.

image Momma to Ms. C age 16 months and Mr. C age 3 months!
  • Options
    imageTtimes3:

Unfortunately, that's probably true; however, that said, it becomes even more imperative that fellow tax payers understand the importance of choosing to (a) supporting their local school districts by voting YES on levies (b) demanding change from their elected representatives (c) BOTH!

ETA: notice how bitching about how fiscally irresponsible the school board is and refusing to support the levy because you don't have kids and don't give a $hit isn't among the choices. Wink

My response to the idiots who say this is always: "Karma's a beyotch. Those uneducated students are going to be taking care of you in the nursing home."

I've taught in the Health Services Lab (most of these students go into health care, specifically nursing homes) and it ain't pretty.

• Options
    imageTtimes3:

My MIL was here this past weekend, and if I've never mentioned it in the past, she is an employee of the school system where she lives.  She has been since DH was a kid.  The schools he attended are comparable to Forest Hills/Sycamore, as far as ratings are concerned.

She is retiring sometime later this year.  DH was telling her about the woeful situation that the schools here are facing, particularly the district that we live in and that our boys would attend should we stay in our current house.  She said she's always supported the school levies in the past, but she's decided she's no longer going to do so.  She plans to vote against the current levy on her ballot this coming Tuesday.

Have I mentioned that she is not one of my favorite people?

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageKittahMama:

I saw someone post awhile back in one of the school posts about how they read about irresponsible the school board was being with money and a lot of wasteful spending?

Again, i have no idea, but I was curious about that.

I have to say though- the more i read the more I am looking at private education.  It just scares me.  Not only that but I feel a tremendous about of sadness to lower income areas.  Just because the houses in your part of the state cost $40-$50k or even rural areas like farms that don't have high property tax rates- your kids get a lesser education???  It seems like the poverty stricken children get a double whammy- their families have no money AND they don't get any extra help in school to help them either.

I have a few years before we really have decide thank God.  I'll pray that the legislature and communities can help give our kids a good education and I will continue to educate myself on the situations.  I won't promise to blindly vote yes on every levy, but I will educate myself - which I think lends itself to helping schools.

If you want to really help, start with voting on school board members. They're the ones who make some of the big decisions and they're elected officials. Unfortunately, like all other area of politics, school board elections are typically popularity contests. Why not elect teachers, principals and other administrators who actually have experience and know what it takes to run a school?

In regards to private schools, there's a great misconception that just because you pay for your child's education, you then have a say in how the school is run. This is rarely the case. I'm not saying all private schools are bad, I'm just saying you should do your homework. Especially since so many private schools now receive public funding, which comes with its own restrictions.

• Options
    imagewarrior*mom:
    If you want to really help, start with voting on school board members. They're the ones who make some of the big decisions and they're elected officials. Unfortunately, like all other area of politics, school board elections are typically popularity contests. Why not elect teachers, principals and other administrators who actually have experience and know what it takes to run a school?

In regards to private schools, there's a great misconception that just because you pay for your child's education, you then have a say in how the school is run. This is rarely the case. I'm not saying all private schools are bad, I'm just saying you should do your homework. Especially since so many private schools now receive public funding, which comes with its own restrictions.

Eh- I think I will ship them to England to a boarding school and DH's family can deal with them.  Especially for high school.  I am NOT looking forward to a smartaleck daughter telling me how uncool I am and how I "just don't understand".... ugh.. just the thought of it...

image Momma to Ms. C age 16 months and Mr. C age 3 months!
  • Options
    imageKittahMama:

I'm not trying to say that wasteful spending never occurs within a school district. However, I hear this a lot, but I very rarely see the "proof" behind the assertions. It just seems, to me, to be one of the first comments that spouts off people's [ignorant] mouths as a "reason" not to support levies/increased taxes.

imageKittahMama:

Yes and no. Relative poverty is factored into the equation; however, the equation, itself, SUCKS and it doesn't do enough to offset the disparity across the state.

imageKittahMama:

I'm not trying to be flippant, but praying isn't going to change much (without action).

Also, I'm not asking anyone to vote blindly. Quite the opposite. I'm just assuming that when people KNOW better, they'll DO better. I have faith in people that way.

• Options

imagesistrkate:

She is retiring sometime later this year.  DH was telling her about the woeful situation that the schools here are facing, particularly the district that we live in and that our boys would attend should we stay in our current house.  She said she's always supported the school levies in the past, but she's decided she's no longer going to do so.  She plans to vote against the current levy on her ballot this coming Tuesday.

Tongue Tied

• Options
    imageTtimes3:

imagesistrkate:

Tongue Tied

I know, can you believe that shyte?  I was planning to try to talk to her about it, but she is so bull-headed, it would have been pointless.  Argh.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagesistrkate:
    imageTtimes3:

imagesistrkate:

Tongue Tied

I know, can you believe that shyte?  I was planning to try to talk to her about it, but she is so bull-headed, it would have been pointless.  Argh.

Especially coming from an employee/retiree of a school district. WTF?

• Options
    imageTtimes3:

I try not to be too pessimistic, but I feel like the educated citizen/tax payer/voter is all but dead these days. I just don't know what can be done to get people to do a bit of critical thinking when it comes to these things.

DD1: Sep 10 / DD2: Nov 12 / Surprise LO3: Jul 14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"