Preemies
Options

question on adjusted ages

Since my DD was born at 35 weeks i was told she was a late preemie and she'll probably be on track as fullterm babies with everything. Which has been true for her.

I was wondering with adjusted ages do you go by their birth date or the adjusted for things such as starting solid foods and milestones?

Re: question on adjusted ages

• Options

I don't think there's really a hard fast rule.  I didn't worry so much about age (adjusted or actual) when it came to things like starting solids, I just followed my baby's cues.  As far as milestones, we never got too worried about those either unless he was still behind based on his adjusted age.  DS was born at 32 weeks and pretty much did things sometime between his adjusted and actual age. 

For the most part, we treated him like his actual age after those first few months. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was told you adjust for as many months as weeks they were early. So, with mine being born 12 weeks early, we'll adjust for 12 months. Does that make sense?

Oh, and I'm not sure why, but that's what I was told in the NICU.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrsmikey:

I don't think there's really a hard fast rule.  I didn't worry so much about age (adjusted or actual) when it came to things like starting solids, I just followed my baby's cues.  As far as milestones, we never got too worried about those either unless he was still behind based on his adjusted age.  DS was born at 32 weeks and pretty much did things sometime between his adjusted and actual age. 

For the most part, we treated him like his actual age after those first few months. 

Yes Same here.

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PP, I don't think adjusted age really matters. Now my LO is 5 months and we treat her just like any other 5 monther.
  • Options

Milestone ages are just averages.  Even in full term babies, there is lots of variation.  It's so hard not to, but it will eat away at you if you're constantly comparing her to other kids. 

As PP said, try to go more by her cues.  She's unique and isn't the same as any other person on this planet, so don't do things because a book suggests it.   Also listen to your gut.  You know your daughter better than anyone else.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My LO was a 36 weeker and I kind of do a combination. I tell people her actual age, etc, although she's pretty small so I often have to explain that she was early. When it comes to milestones, I start looking for them based on her real age but I don't worry at all if she hasn't hit them "on time" since I know it can take a little longer. She's been on track for most of the social milestones but seems to be a bit behind on the sitting/rolling, etc stuff. I'm also postponing solids until at LEAST 6 months because I want to be sure her digestive track is developed enough to handle it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"