VBAC

Induction and VBACS

Why is inductions bad for VBACs?

I was really dilated and not going into labor with DD, so I am concerned I may need induced when I get pregnant again, and I always see people saying they are bad for vbacs.

Re: Induction and VBACS

• The medications used for induction increase the chance of uterine rupture.  Some doctors flat out won't use them, others will give small amounts.  You'll have to talk to your provider about what they will do if you get to 41-42 weeks without labor beginning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thanks! I was induced just by having my water broke, so that is good news.  I know every pregnancy is different though.
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB's office will not induce you if you've had a previous c-section. For them the risks outweigh the benefits, so they'll try to get you to go into labor naturally but you may end up having to schedule a c-section.
  • There are some safe ways to induce a VBAC.  Pitocin has been shown to increase the odds of rupture but the chance of a rupture is overall still very small, so Pit can be used on VBACs as long as the dose remains small.  Manual methods like breaking the water or using a Foley bulb can also be used on VBAC moms.

However many doctors won't do inductions on VBAC moms because there is still a lot of fear and misconception about VBAC, and many doctors are worried about getting sued if a VBAC goes wrong.

Many moms have VBACs after being induced for their first pregnancy, so try not to worry about that. :) 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I was induced, I wasn't even due yet, I was just very dilated, and the doctor was afraid I wouldn't make it to the hospital, if he sent me home, so hopefully I won't need to be induced next time around!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"