June 2011 Moms
Options

Castor Oil

Can someone please explain to me what they use Castor Oil for and how they use it? I've heard vaguely about it and I'm super curious. Of course I'm not ready to do anything like that, like I said, I'm just curious to how it works and how you use it? Anyone know?

Re: Castor Oil

• Options

Labor induction. A few spoonfuls orally is supposed to get you going.

D13 June Siggy Challenge Awkward (Awesome) Bathing Suits
    photo d5230f4f-07cc-4b75-b11c-da060b42a66d.jpg
  • Options
    imagehckygrl909:

Oh how gross! Lol Wink

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It works by giving you cramps and a lovely case of the runs. It's along the same lines as eating spicy food to encourage labor, once the muscles down there get going, neighboring muscles tend to join in the party.

As PP mentioned, you can take a couple spoonfuls orally, but I've heard of some people mixing it with juice or smoothies to help cover up the taste. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagehckygrl909:

My impression is that this is a very old method to induce labor (the only person I know who used it was my grandmother!). Not sure if it works or if its an OWT, but yuck, either way no thanks.

• Options

Castor Oil is a natural form of induction. It is a laxative which clears your system out which is supposed to irritate the uterus and start the contractions. Make sure you talk to your OB or midwife before considering this... 

https://pregnancy.about.com/od/induction/a/castoroil.htm

Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Options
    imagebestmaid6:

It works by giving you cramps and a lovely case of the runs. It's along the same lines as eating spicy food to encourage labor, once the muscles down there get going, neighboring muscles tend to join in the party.

As PP mentioned, you can take a couple spoonfuls orally, but I've heard of some people mixing it with juice or smoothies to help cover up the taste. 

I honestly had no clue that Castor Oil was still readily available.  Now I'm curious and will have to look for it next time I'm shopping.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsPrevost:
    imagehckygrl909:

My impression is that this is a very old method to induce labor (the only person I know who used it was my grandmother!). Not sure if it works or if its an OWT, but yuck, either way no thanks.

It works for some people. My cousin used it to get her second labor going. Only took a couple of hours before she was having regular contractions. Baby was born 12 hours later.

It won't be the first thing I try if this kid is stubborn, but I'd rather chug a bottle of Castor Oil than even think about Pitocin. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    CCC ACCC A member

I used it with my first..it is REALLY thick and doesnt taste good. You will be on toilet clearing yourself out for hours..but that starts the contractions. I went into labor exactly 12hrs from when i drank it.

The down fall ( i didnt know this at the time) is that if it makes you go potty it could make your LO go potty and you dont want that because it could end up in his lungs. I dont know all the details on the first stool of the LO.

• Options
    You can also use castor oil topically, I have been since 3rd tri began. I rub some on my belly before bed (w/old shirt on, it stains) and it keeps me "regular" lol. I haven't been constipated at all since I started doing this. Also, instead of drinking it to induce labor, I have read that you can slather over belly then apply low heat (hair dryer or heating pad). This might still stimulate the bowels some but w/out risk of explosive diarrhea and dehydration u risk when drinking it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"