VBAC

VBAC- so confused and stressed already!!

Hi everyone! I really need to hear some personal stories!

Quick history: My son was born 11/26/08 by c-section. My water broke on a friday evening - however my plug came out at the same time and the water 'slowly leaked', so I didn't even know it had broken until my monday dr appt! I was admitted to the hospital monday afternoon and started pitocin that evening. My doctor scraped the membranes, etc, but by tuesday evening... I had only dilated 6 cm. I finally got the epidural since I figured I was in for the pain another day or more. She discovered that my son had pooped inside me. His heart rate was going crazy, so they had to stop the pitocin which stopped my contractions. Since my water had been broken for so long, she wanted to do a csection asap- but she knew how important it was for me to give birth vaginally. We ended up having him via csection at 3:12 am on wednesday.

She said that by the looks of my 'insides', he wouldn't have fit through my pelvis. He was also facing up which made it harder. He was wisked away to the NICU where he was treated for a lung infection and we stayed there 7 more days while he got treatment.

SO! She said we can certainly try a VBAC 'next time around'- which is now because I am due on 11/25/11!

I should also mention that I have had cervical surgeries which she said could have made scar tissue that made it harder for my cervix to dilate.

Can anyone relate to this situation??!!

I would love, love, love to do a VBAC, but I honestly also want an epidural. I went through 24+ hours of contractions and have no urge to do it again without some pain meds. I have heard that the epidural slows down the contractions? My fear is that the baby and I will go through days of that again, only to have another emergency csection, where my doctor might not even be able to perform it.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

Re: VBAC- so confused and stressed already!!

• I'd agree, it sounds like you're a good candidate for a VBAC.

I don't believe anyone who says it doesn't look like a baby would fit through your pelvis.  It's not an exact science.  And your body and baby do amazing things during a labor that's allowed to progress without interference.  Plus, your first was sunnyside up, which would have made it harder.

You can have a VBAC with an epidural.  I had always heard that an epidural slows you down.  But honestly, I got mine and went from 4 cms to 10 cms in a couple of hours.  I think I was just extremely tense and extremely tired (60 hour induction).  The epidural calmed me down and let me rest before pushing.

Also, you may find your next birth is not as painful, if the baby is facing backward and you're not on pitocin.

Congrats!  And don't worry, you have the next 7 months to decide what you want to do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecchill01:

You can have a VBAC with an epidural.  I had always heard that an epidural slows you down.  But honestly, I got mine and went from 4 cms to 10 cms in a couple of hours.  I think I was just extremely tense and extremely tired (60 hour induction).  The epidural calmed me down and let me rest before pushing.

This was me too.  It took FOREVER to get me to 5 cm and then I got the epi to get some rest.  I was fully dilated in under 2 hours from there.  I don't know about cervical scarring, but I think that you should still be good to attempt a VBAC.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree that you are a good candidate for a vbac!  Epidural or not, I say go for it... what's the worst that could happen??  A csection again?  Because if you decide against the vbac you'll be having a RCS anyway.

I had my first 11/18/08 and desparately wanted a vbac the 2nd time around.  Well it didn't happen and to be honest I was fine with it (it was overall a better experience).   I'm trying to vbac again but I know that if it results in a 3rd C it's not the end of the world.  I'd rather give myself the option of at least trying to vbac.

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • If your baby is in a better position, it could make a world of difference!  I had a c/s (after a failed induction where positioning was an issue) and for this last birth we worked on getting LO into a favorable position right away.  My doula had me crawl a fair amount so that baby wouldn't be sunny side up and I also saw a chriopractor throughout the pregnancy who was experienced with the Webster technique. If baby is in a good position, your labor could go much faster.

As for the epi - for some people it can actually speed up dilation because it allows them to relax.   If you do decide to get it, do your research so you know the risks, try to have someone who can help you get into different positions (my doula does this with all of her clients who have epis, and she says she's never had one slow down labor) and wait to get it until you're in active labor. 

Good luck!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"