Single Parents

How Can I help a single mommy :)

I have a dear friend who is a new single mom, very broke, very alone :( She lives about 3 hours away from me.

My husband & I are expecting in June & now more than ever I see how much support she must need. I'm just not sure how to help, while I have tried to occasionaly send a gift card to help out financially, I know that we won't be able to do that much longer.

Any ideas of how I can help support her from hours away?

Re: How Can I help a single mommy :)

• Listen and be available for vents.

Don't take it personally if she pulls away b/c your "perfect life"  (not saying it is but right now from an outside perspective your living the dream) is too much to handle right now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm sorry you are going through this.  Be there for her and do little things like invite her for the weekend, listen to her if she's having a bad day, call her to tell her you're thinking of her, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • yeah, all of the advice is great so far.  i can say- from my perspective- one of my best friends- just had a baby in july and she has the "perfect" life- and I never held it against her or was bitter towards her at all.  In fact, seeing her and her husb and the baby made me feel so much better.

so cute babies help!  they really do.  also, being available to talk helps.  and even if you can't talk right then, let her know you want to talk and set up a time when you can talk (its tricky with a child sometimes to gab on the phone whenever).

also, snail  mail.  send cute inspirational cards.  and maybe since she is broke - i would say don't give her money, because i never wanted to feel like a charity case when i was still ramping up my business, etc- but maybe send her like a gift card for pizza or boston market or a sub shop.  or if you know she's going to be home one  night call a local pizzeria and order her a pizza and wings over the phone with your debit card.  thats something cute my mom did for me once.

or a gift card to a local grocery store like target/ walmart where she can get groceries AND baby/kid stuff.

or like some cool lip gloss or fancy shower gel.  sometimes going through this stuff you forget that you still are a girl and love girly things.   or even a care package of chocolate and bottle of wine.  anything is sweet, trust me.  just the thought means the world.

if you do go visit, i'd make a ton of freezer meals for her, those are the best. 

but most of all, be there for her.  and let her know that you'll give her the space she needs to grieve the relationship, but also that you dont want her to think you are pulling away and she has comfort in you no matter what.  and if she IS bitter- dont take it personally at all. 

• ohhhhh ALSO.  most importantly- tell her about this board.  she needs to talk to other people going through crap.  it helps.  truly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"