Upstate NY Babies
Options

Sleeping in vs Taking a nap

So this is day three of Evan sleeping in - and (probably) not taking a nap. I put him in and he'll talk for an hour or more...and then I usually get him once I go up to get Leah (since he would get upset if he heard me go up to get her and then leave him up there)

I am loving my mornings with my girl, coffee and the today show. It's a little different when Evan is awake. BUT - I feel bad putting him in bed for a nap and he just hangs out in the dark. I am NOT ready to just not put him in. I need a break too badly. I would never shower if he didn't nap :)

So - I should probably wake him up tomorrow and get back on track with the 12 hrs at night and 2 hr nap...instead of just a 14 hour night sleep, right? Would there be a reason to keep it going like this?

Re: Sleeping in vs Taking a nap

• Options

as a working mom i'd do anything to get this kid to sleep till 7:30 so i can get ready w/o tending to him in the morning but he's back to being the early bird with his 5:30 wake up time- little brat.

however i know my mom would kill me if he didn't take a nap during the day (always a 1.5-2 hr am one and sometimes a half hr 45 mim afternoon one)

is there a way you could shower 1st thing while he is sleeping? i would say if nap or no nap doesn't effect his nighttime routine or his mood in the evening then it's just a judgement call on your part. and even if he's not sleeping during his nap a little down time or rest isn't all that bad for them. without it he might be a monster like mine is in the evening if he doesn't get some rest even if he doens't actually sleep during his afternoon nap

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That's the thing too - he is totally fine in the evenings. He does seem to fall asleep faster if he has no nap. It was taking him a while to fall asleep last week a few days in a row...which is why I think this happened in the first place. He started to get overtired and caught up in the morning - shifting everything.

Early in the morning I always choose sleep over shower unless I need to go somewhere. Even with the best intentions...my morning self refuses to get up before I have to.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Some days I don't mind if Evan sleeps in and/or misses a nap... because then he goes to bed really early. I'd rather have my down time at night. I'm an early riser though... I'm typically up before Evan anyways. And when I wake up I feel the need to be productive (after my first cup of coffee, of course!) so, if Evan sleeps in I always get a lot done! Then I'm lazy at night after he goes to bed ;)

What ever works for you guys! Does he go to bed earlier on the days he doesn't nap? With my Evan, if he misses a nap he is down for the count by 7... which is kind of nice sometimes!  

• Options

My mom did "quiet time" until I was like 5 or 6 - whenever full day school started.  I think I was quite the handfull Embarrassed   But really, I think it is fine.  Even if he doesn't sleep, some quiet time would allow for everyone to re-charge.

But basically I had to stay in my bedroom and read or play quietly until she came and got me.  I wonder how she childproofed it well enough though....we are decent but I know DD would still kill the place.

• Options

I agree with JNK- if he isnt going to nap- the I would most def give him "quiet time" and not feel bad about it...

I tend to lean toward a late wake up- but thats because I could sleep 9-10 hours and still not feel rested ( I need lots of sleep) and on saturday when he woke early but didnt "want" to get up til 830- I felt like I had totally recharged...

if its not affecting him- I would keep doing what you are doing- let him have quiet time- if his demenor changes then I would try to "reset" his clock- to reinstate the nap.. 

• Options
    I'm all for the quiet time if they don't actually sleep.  And I am super jealous your kids sleep in.  This past weekend was a three day weekend for us.  I was thinking we'd get to sleep in.....uh, not so much.  Friday we were up at 5:00am, Saturday it was 5:45 and Sunday about 6:00.  Ugh!!!!
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We do "rest time" with Zoey. She sometimes fights it and will cry when I leave the room, but usually she settles right down within a few minutes. She will read, play, sing, etc. Sometimes she will get tired and go to sleep, but even ic she doesnt sleep, she will usually stay up there 2+ hours. Lots of times she does end up trashing her room, but I always just keep an eye on her on the video monitor to make sure she isnt doing anything dangerous. I will keep giving her daily rest time/quiet time for as long as she will tolerate it. Mama needs that break! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"