1st Trimester
Options

Pets sensing pregnancy?

I am 5 weeks, first pregnancy. I swear my (female) cat knows something is up.  She is WAY more cuddly than usual, and seems to be seeking my attention.  It could be that I am lounging around more, since I'm really tired.  But has anyone ever heard of cats (or dogs) sensing a pregnancy?

May Siggy Challenge: TV mom

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pets sensing pregnancy?

• Options
    I noticed the same thing with my parent's dogs. They want to be close to me all the time, and want to sit right on my belly! I definitely think animals have a sense that something is up, they can probably smell all the hormones!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dog is acting strange around me.  The cats, not so much though.  I'm sure they can sense it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I believe they can. My dads dog who is usually afraid of me (she's a fraidycat) came to me when I called her and cuddled with me :]
    BabyFetus Ticker pregnancy BabyFruit Ticker Hi I'm Angie, I'm 20 and I'm proudly pregnant with my first baby.
  • Options

I've def heard of it!

My dog had no clue until much later. 

• Options
    Hahaha I noticed the same thing! My cat is all over me and sitting in my lap all of a sudden.
    Me- 35 Dx endo; DH- 33 no probs.
    BFP#1 (totally a wonderful surprise)- 3/10/11. IUFD 6/25/11. 
    TTC since 8/2011.
    BFP#2- 11/1/11. EDD 7/6/12. Blighted ovum 12/1/11.

New OBGYN 12/2012- CD3 labs, SA, HSG normal. 
    First RE appt 1/16/2013. Unexplained infertility. Lap planned. 

12/2012- Clomid 50mg + TI= BFN 
    1/2013- Clomid 50mg + TI= BFN.

Lap 2/11/2013- Removed endo. 

3/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN
    4/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN
    5/2013- Clomid + IUI= BFN

June 2013- Time for a new RE!

July 2013- We're in Shared Risk! Love my new RE!
    August 2013- IVF#1- 14 R, 11F, transferred 1 perfect blast, 5 day 5 frosties= BFN.
    Sept 2013- Let's get ready for FET October 7th ish!< transfer 2 embies 10/11/13.......BFP 10/18/13!!!!/div>

PAIF/SAIF and everyone is welcome. If I can make even one person's journey less painful, I will consider my experience here successful. Thank you to all for sharing their stories, the intimate details of their lives, their knowledge, and their hearts. I hope this experience changes me, always for the better.
  • Options
    So far our cats haven't acted any differently towards me and I thought maybe they would. They just seem annoyed that I no longer let them "kneadypaw" my belly.  Stick out tongue
  • Options

I think our animals are sensing it too. My one cat (we call him, the needy one) is always next to me, and my dog actually keeps smelling my belly I thought it was weird at first, but now I see that others have it happening too!

I too, am almost 5 weeks.

-Amanda IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    This is SO weird.  I have a 5 year old dog that is my "baby".  Last time I was pergnant he started acting weird - sleeping on the couch instead of in bed with us, not eating, and just being really mopey. He started doing it again before I found out I was pregnant now and I said to my husband one day "you know the last time he slept on the couch a lot was when I was pregnant" and a few days later i found out I was! 

BFP - 2/5/14
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My female german shepherd blocks people from coming near me. I stopped sleeping in bed with me, to guard the bedroom door or the fact I sweat buckets at night. She is crazy now, she does not like strangers on our property, she barks like a mad dog!
    TTC #1 since 5/10 BFP 4/9/11 Natural M/C 5/15/11 Hypothyroidism and PCOS Clomid 1/13...
  • Options
    Lol, my 6 month old puppy has NO CLUE. She doesn't care when I don't feel well and want to just lie on the couch - she still wants me to play with her! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My beagle totally knows. The week before I got my BFP she wouldn't leave me alone. She had to sleep next to my stomch. Once I got the BFP I figured it out. Ever since then she has slept next to my stomach everynight and will not leave me alone. She was the same way when my dad died. She would snuggle next to me while I cried and if I started feeling angry she would come be by me. Very sweet and anoying at the same time.

• Options

i have 3 dogs and a cat. And one of my dogs lays on my tummy and graows at the others if they come near. she is so over protective of my belly. my cat is overly lovey too! if im not paying attention to him he meows non stop never use to do that.lol

But yes animals know these things. You spike in hormones indicates this just like dogs can sense cancer or seizers in people they can tell your preggers.

• Options
    I think our cat senses something but his reaction has been opposite what I've heard most pets exhibit - instead of sleeping next to me like he has every night his whole life, he sleeps in the hallway or downstairs.  The rest of the day he is "normal" he just won't sleep on the bed anymore.  It's weird.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I agree - both of my dogs and my cat have been acting differently - sometimes more cuddly, but mostly demanding my attention all the time (even more than usual) lol.  Amazing!

Expecting a bootiful baby Girl this Halloween
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My brother has 2 Pitbulls and they are really hyper & jump alot. When I was pregnant with my daughter the female would lick my boobs thru my shirt, and stay next to me the whole time I visited my brother, The male would, while I was sitting, stand on his hind legs and rest his front legs on my shoulders, and lick my neck, and rest his chin on my shoulder, and try to sit on my lap! Mind you, these are 100lb dogs! They thought they were lap dogs, mainly the male!

Also, my sister-in-law's Chiuahah would constantly lick my tummy, and sniff me and cuddle me, and this dog didn't/doesn't like anybody except his human dad!

I have always believed they can tell something is different!

• Options
    The first day I found out I was pregnant my yorkie fell asleep right on my tummy the whole night. She has done this before but would move but that night she didn't move at all. I do think that pets do sense it. =)
  • Options
    My Kitty Sofia has been overly attentive and wants to cuddle on my lap all the time.  It drives me nuts but makes me happy at the same time.  I think she smells the hormones and is wanting to be around me all the time. My other cat Manny could care less.  I wonder if it is because Sofia is female? 
    Boston Girl
  • Options
    We have 2 male cats and 1 male min-pin doggie. They are more cuddly, but I really don't think it's because they know I'm pregnant. They are just lazy and since I'm lazier, it fits. Maybe it is because they are male? Wonder if they were female, it would be different? Hmmmm.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

There are three dogs and an old cat in our house and when I finally found out I was preggo, I was not home. We were visiting family in another state. But when we came home I noticed an immediate change with all of them. Suddenly, our cat who hasn't slept in our bed, since we first got together, started sleeping right next to my belly. My youngest dog, will not leave me side for long. When she is around me, she has to be very close, if not touching me some how. Our timid middle dog, is now sleeping with us night. Not fun on a queen size bed lol and our oldest dog growls when people come near me. I'm extremely curious how things will play out when the baby starts moving around in there. I'm also curious since they have excellent hearing if at some point they can hear the baby moving or the heart beat. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Absolutely! My dog knew I was pregnant before I even suspected I should go buy a test..By several weeks.
  • Options
    yes
  • Options

My dog knew I was pregnant weeks before I knew. I am totally convinced of this. She started cuddling up to me right on my belly and became very protective. She wouldn't even let my husband hug me without making a fuss. 

Now, she lays on my belly with her ear to my skin and I really think she can hear the baby moving about. She will lay there and listen to her until she falls asleep. She is also still very protective.  

• Options
    My cat did. she tends to like men but when i was pregnant she was all over me all the time
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's interesting you mention this. My cat Cinky and I are super, super close. She is constantly laying on my chest and she follows me everywhere I go - literally she is always at my side. I am 7 weeks now and it's been a few weeks that she is a little distant, sleeping more and puking more often than usual (she has very long hair so furballs are a pretty normal thing around here)... my mom swears that it's because she is jealous that mommy is having another baby and she senses another presence within me. I'm not sure about it but after reading all these responses I think it's actually possible!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers image Val
  • Options
    My cats know.  They've been extra attentive and following me around the house.  My mom's dog also gets extra excited now when I go over to visit.  She says that she's never seen the dog behave that way before.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    They know. Of our 4 dogs, the one closest to me has latched on even more. He snuggles up to me in bed, where he would normally sleep on the bathroom tile floor, he doesn't let me out of his site around the house, sits against my legs or lays on my feet when I'm on the couch, and comes in to check on my when I'm in the bathroom. 
  • Options
    My dog knows too. He's been a sweetheart, I'm sure he's known the whole time. He has also been guarding me more so recently which is really cute cuz he's a cocker spaniel and not very big.
  • Options
    I believe it! My dog Sam has always been a daddy's boy! When we would sleep he would always snuggle up to daddy. Now when we sleep, its me he looks for. He tries to rest his head in my lap and follows me all around the house! He is too cute! He has even gotten more protective of me!
  • Options
    My puppy Gunther who is about a year old seems to know. He will jump on my lap and put his front legs around my belly and lay his head on my stomach and just watch me... lol But he has always been sensitive to when I'm not feeling good or sad... He starts to whimper if I get sick and wont leave my side.
  • Options

My horse knew.  His 18th birthday was April 1. I had a lesson that day, and my usually energetic, sensitive Thoroughbred was calm and easy going and very easy to ride.  According to all the estimates, I would have been about a week since conception, but I obviously had no idea.  I remember asking him if he was that easy going for my lesson because he was now 18 and felt he had the right to vote in matters.  Then I found out a few weeks later. They day after I found out, I was grooming him and he nudged the front of my shirt up and started licking my stomach.  He knew on April 1, but just wasn't going to say anything until he knew I knew.

On a sad note, my dog of 16 years knew, and my animals have always known when it was time for them to exit my life.  She knew she wasn't going to be a good fit for a baby (she was a fear biter and senility had started to rear its ugly head, a bad combination).  She died of renal failure in June, about 3 months after conception. It was just in time for us to adopt this Boxer who gravitates toward every stroller we come across and loves to lick baby toes, a perfect fit for a house with a baby on the way.

• Options
    I have two kitties and they have been my babies this far!  The older one Dazie, doesn't seem to be any different, just as independent as usual but still loving her Momma.  Our Shady cat used to sleep on our bed, and I have noticed that she is sleeping in her own bed, in our room now.  I wonder if it's because I get up a BAGILLION times during the night to go to the potty and she got tired of me waking her up!!!  :)  It will be fun to see how they react and interact with the baby! 
  • Options
    oh heck yes! I am a dog groomer, and my regular clients started behaving differently to me almost immidiately. I also found it easier for me to handle the tough dogs while PG, they just seemed to sense I needed them to behave better and be quieter.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options
    My dog seems to be weirded out by me now.  It's like I look like me, and sound like me, something is off and he isn't sure of me suddenly.  He still would try to trample my stomach like a wildebeest if given the chance, but his behavior toward me has changed.
    Trying for a natural birth, and breast fed, cloth diapered child!
  • Options
    Thanks.  Now I'm sobbing.  ;)
    Trying for a natural birth, and breast fed, cloth diapered child!
  • Options
    I LOVE this post, my husband and I just talked about this last night. Our dog used to sleep with him and she is now cuddeling up to my belly every night, SO cute I love it.
  • Options
    One of mine definitely.  If the other knows it is hidden pretty well with typical puppy antics.
  • Options
    My DH and I were just talking about this last night.. I have 3 dogs and while our chihuahua has always been by my side since we got him, our 2 bigger dogs are normally next to my hubby. Since we found out its crazy to watch the change in them, they all follow me around and want to sleep right by me. So if I had to say so I think they definitely sense it!
  • Options
    I will have to pay more attention to this now! I have a westie that is just naturally a total cuddler, but generally follows my husband around and craves his attention the most. I'll have to see if there's any changes :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I know that dolphins can detect pregnancy at the very early stages-- even before the mother, herself, knows-- because of their very sensitive sonar capabilities, but I've never heard of common house pets being able to sense a pregnancy. People say that they can sense their owners emotions, though. Maybe you're letting on that you're pregnant more than you think. Congrats!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Oh yeah! I bet your pets can sense that there is atleast SOMETHING different going on. About a month ago I was standing in front of my 8 month old puppy, his face is about even with my stomach (i am about 5'7'', tall puppy huh!) and he begins staring at my bump. Then he stares at me. Then back at the bump, and again back up at me. ;) he knows.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"