VBAC

annoyed...and a question

I am due at the end of aug with my second.  My dr this whole time has said that a vbac wouldnt be an issue if I wanted to try for one.  But at my last appointment she informed me that she scheduled time in the operating room for a repeat csection "should I need it".  Is this normal procedure?  I'm aware all hospitals are different and she assured me it is just how they do things and that she will let me go until 41 weeks.  But I guess I'm annoyed because why didnt she just schedule the operating room time for 41 weeks instead "should I need it". 

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: annoyed...and a question

• When did she schedule it for? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My Dr didn't do this, she just let me decided with Khari, but I've heard of it before.. I think it's kind of wierd though.
  • Loading the player...
  • It is scheduled for a day before my due date (because my dd is a sat).  The nurse (not my dr) kept saying that it could be changed and she might of even been the one to schedule it not really knowing what the dr and I decided.  But I guess I'm annoyed because if it can easily be changed then just do it and stop freaking me out.  Because I know darn well that "should I need it" if it was an emergency they'd probably be able to fit me in somewhere (it just might not be my dr and I'm almost ok with that over feeling like I'm being pressured to have a RCS).
  • ryemoryemo member
    I would ask for it to be rescheduled to the absolute last date. And I would be concerned. This isn't supportive. It is undermining of your confidence in your body and birth.
  • I agree that you should ask them to change it.  If you were allowed to go to 41 weeks, then there is no way you'd be showing up for a random CS before your due date, right?  Tell them that if you have not already delivered by then, you will NOT be showing up that day anyway, so change it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageryemo:
    I would ask for it to be rescheduled to the absolute last date. And I would be concerned. This isn't supportive. It is undermining of your confidence in your body and birth.

Agree!!!  It's in their best interest to change it anyway, because you don't plan to keep the appointment.  If something happens sooner and you need a C/S, then you won't need an appointment.  I got bumped from the OR 3 times with my first, because of emergencies.  I was just a FTP.

• imageMAprincess:
    I agree that you should ask them to change it.  If you were allowed to go to 41 weeks, then there is no way you'd be showing up for a random CS before your due date, right?  Tell them that if you have not already delivered by then, you will NOT be showing up that day anyway, so change it.

Definitely this. I would make sure that I would schedule it for as late as I possibly could. Since your EDD is on a Sat, I would make the RCS scheduled for Monday after I turned 41 weeks. You would still technically be 41 weeks, but you have a few extra days. At your next appt, I would say "I'm not comfortable in how you scheduled my RCS after we had plainly discussed me going to 41 weeks. To give me the opportunity we discussed, I would like that RCS date to be changed to xx date (the Monday after your 41 week change)." If the OB won't compromise, that would be a red flag for me & I'd be looking at switching.

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• i would definitely ask for the date to be canceled and not rescheduled.  whats the point of them scheduling it, and for before your due date.   does not bode well for support at the end  "well, you know, we DO have time in the OR already....."

• imageLuhdashuh:

My doctor has left it up to me if I want to schedule prior to 42 weeks, nothing is scheduled as of now and I'm due in a few days. 

Did you schedule it for 41 weeks or is it scheduled sooner than that? It would make me very uncomfortable with my doctors if they had scheduled me b/c I would have felt like they had already decided I was getting a c-section. 

Ditto.  I'd be questioning whether this doctor really intended to support my VBAC wishes or if she was just playing lip service and going to push me into a c/s once I was full-term.  Especially since she scheduled it for before your due date.  I'd at least push it out to 41 or 42 weeks.  Doctors don't schedule non-VBAC moms for "just in case" c-sections, so why do they do it for VBAC moms?

I don't have a c/s scheduled.  If I get to 42 weeks and no baby has come out yet, then we'll talk about options.   

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageryemo:

I agree.  Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks.  Like I said it was the nurse/aide/receptionist (I dont even really know what she is) so I wasnt going to argue with her.  I just told her that day wasnt good for me so I wont be showing up and I planned to discuss it with the dr later. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"