June 2011 Moms
Options

5lb baby at 32 weeks???

So I have GD and I just had my growth ultrasound to check baby's size. She is measuring to 35 weeks! Her head is measuring to 34 weeks and she has really long legs apparently. They estimated her to be around 5 lbs already! I am only 32 weeks no way could she already be that big can she? I have people telling me I am way to small for 8 months and I really haven't gained very much weight. Yikes! I am so scared now. My H is in Japan with his buddies for a last get away before this little girl comes. I had to have this one alone and sure wished he was here for some support. Oh well not sure whats to come next but I may be having this baby early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 5lb baby at 32 weeks???

• Options
    I read somewhere that they use the length of her legs and/or arms to help determine weight.. so if she has long arms, they say she is heavier. I don't know if this is correct, but if so, it seems really inaccurate.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When using ultrasound the weight isn't as accurate as you'd think (exp if your baby has long legs)  They take measurements of their stomach and femur (and a few other baby parts) and base weight off of that.  DS2 was estimated to be 8 1/2 pounds (at 36 weeks) and he came out at 8lb 1oz (at 37 weeks) happy and healthy, and YES a 1/2 a pound is a big difference :) I was very happy he wasn't any bigger.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had the same thing happen, at 31 weeks. I have type 1. My doctor is keeping tabs on me and I have to fax in my numbers in between appointments. They are going to do another growth ultrasound in 2-3 weeks to see what our delivery options will be. Everything is perfect, he's just may be a little big. My doctor said growth ultrasounds aren't always correct though.

• Options
    Weight guesstimates can be wrong. It's just a guess and from what the teacher at my birthing class suggesting, can be very inaccurate.  If she has long legs and is longer than the average baby, than of course she'll be a little heavier weight wise.  I wouldn't worry yourself, especially since the Dr doesn't seem to be concerned (at least not that you mention).
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    I would't worry about it too much. I went into PTL at 30 weeks and they told me that she was measuring 2.5 weeks ahead (weighing in at 4lb 5oz). Given that they usually gain 1/2lb a week that would put her at over 5lbs at 32wks. I don't have GD, I also don't look "that" big, and have only gained 16lbs so far. DD #1 weighed 7lbs 11oz at birth, and DS weighed 8lbs 3oz. The u/s can be off up to 1lb. If they would feel that the baby would be getting too big, they would induce you. Try not to worry. I know, easier said than done. However, it won't do you any good to stress yourself out about it. There are alot of times that they are way off when it comes to weight estimates.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am waiting out the next week for our next u/s too because baby was measuring (6lbs 11oz, 37wks 2days) at 34wks, which is the 98%ile. But like my dr said, it could be a growth spurt or a big baby, only time will tell!! I was concerned at 1st too, but baby might slow down in growth. If not, then big babies could be on their way!
  • Options
    My cousin went for an u/s at 38wks and they told her the baby weighed 7.5lbs, 3 days later she went into labor and after pushing for a ridiculous length of time they gave her a c-section...she had a 10lb 10oz baby boy!  u/s weights are guesses!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for easing my mind a little. I don't get to speak to my OB until next week so I have no idea if I should be concerned or not. Glad I have this board and you wonderful ladies to talk too in the meantime for support.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Something else to keep in mind - it's not so much weight that is an issue as it is head circumference.
  • Options

That's exactly the concern with GD is that these babies can get pretty big. My bff had a 7lb baby and had GD. I'm sure you're keeping good with your GD regimen your Dr prescribed :)

ETA he sister also slender but 2 inches taller also had GD and had an almost 11lbs baby! So it really just depends on how well controlled GD is. 

• Options
    I can definitely sympathize. I also have GD and just got back from my ultrasound. 5.8 lbs at 34 weeks. My belly is already measuring at 38.5 weeks (though I am pretty short, and there's no place for the baby to go but out). I'm kind of starting to freak out because of all of the c-section talk at my appointments. I only have 6 weeks of maternity leave, and I want to spend that time focusing on my baby, not recovering from major surgery.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My LO was estimated at 5 lbs 15 oz at 33 weeks!  Thats an ounce shy of 6 lbs.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My really good friend in Nashville, TN has GD and had been getting growth ultrasounds, etc.  and (IMO) was bullied into getting a C-section because they told her the baby weighed 9lbs. 12oz at 37w4d.  After stressing for days, then going through the scheduled c/s, her daughter weighed only 7lbs.  Needless to say she was very upset, but the moral of the story is don't freak out about size/weight estimates, they can be way off....
  • Options
    My princess is also 5lbs and her limbs are also very long. They said it because her dad is 6'3'' I am only 4'10''
  • Options
    The further along you get the less accurate the weight estimate is.  I went in at 33 weeks 2 days and my little bean was estimated at 4 lbs 12 ounces and they said that was in the 43% for that gestational age.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm a pre-Type II diabetic so I have the same pregnancy-related concerns as with GD.

If your blood sugar is well-controlled and your doctors are not concerned, I wouldn't be worried.

At our 32+ week appt, LO measured approx 4 lbs, 11 oz & according to all mesaurements is in the 64th percentile for growth. My maternal-fetal doctors are pleased with that & he's been consistent/steady in his growth so I'm not concerned either.

A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• Options
    I'm scared, I'm going in on Thursday for a growth u/s.  Do they measure fluid too?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My baby measured 5.1lbs at 32 wks and I pray to God it isn't completely accurate bc I'm scared of having a 8+lb baby.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"