Natural Birth
Options

Stretching with oil to prevent tearing or episiotomies?

I've been lurking a little here and I'm really happy to find other hypnobirthing mamas.  I'm due in 3 weeks and I'm so excited.  We have one more class out of the 5 and I feel really good about hypnobirthing for a natural birth. 

I started the classes a little late in the pregnancy, but we (DH and I) started using almond oil to stretch things out a week ago.  I know it's taught in hypnobirthing, but is anyone else doing it?  Did anyone stretch things with oil for a previous birth and have good things to report?

It seems like I'm risking a UTI every time, but I would think that it's helping some. 

Re: Stretching with oil to prevent tearing or episiotomies?

• Options

I didn't do any stretching and only had a "skid mark" no actual tearing. But I labored in a birth pool. If you can do it I would highly recommend it as it loosens everything up down there and helps you to stretch.

It is much better to tear then to have an episiotomy so I wouldn't even consider that.

Good luck!

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    Episiotomies SUCK and don't help you, they help the doctor.  I'm speaking from personal experience.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DH & I did every other night for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy and I think it helped. I had a tiny tear that didn't need stitches and healed pretty quickly after delivery. There are some studies that say it doesn't make a difference either way, but there was a non-clicky poll here awhile ago and it seemed like most of the moms that didn't do massage had tears.

I do think what helped even more than the massage was very controlled pushing; I pushed LO out over several contractions rather than all at once. It also helped that my MW applied a warm washcloth and massaged while I was pushing.

Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
  • Options
    My OB actually used oil and massage when I had my DD1.  I didn't tear at all.  Compared to my DS's birth DD1 was a walk in the park. I recommend it to all of my friends.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I did it about every other night for a couple of weeks. I had no tearing or anything. I would recommend it. I'm not sure if that's what made the difference or not, but it's totally worth a try. My recovery with no stitches was super easy compared to the recovery I had with my son. (I was given an episitomy. Not huge but it did require stitches. Not fun.)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Thanks!  I skipped the last two nights because we had company, then I was exhausted but I'll keep it up. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"