Blended Families
Options

My innocent little nephew

He asked my mom when his little brother would be old enough to come visit.  

His BM got pg last year and as far as I know the BD has never been around.  He asked my mom if she would take him to the shop for candy as it is not fair he never gets any.  He also said that granddad (my father) should buy him some presents also.

He is very thoughtful and adores his little brother, of course it never occurred to him that my mom and dad were not his brothers grandparents.

He said to my mom 'he's really very good grandma, your just going to love'.  My mom said she just said 'of course he can come visit'.   

Eta:  he just turned 4. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My innocent little nephew

• Options
    That is sweet.  And it really makes you think about what a better place the world would be if everyone could think like him.  Would it really be the end of the world if everyone would accept the "half"-siblings as they accept the other kids?  No, the world would be better for it but we know that most are not capable.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

Aww!

This is something I loved about my grandma: she would buy presents for everyone and rememebered everyone's birthdays even if they weren't biologically her grandchildren. It's also something I appreciate and adore about my SD's grandparents, they treat my children as though they were their grandchildren too. They are so sweet to them and I feel incredibly blessed that they treat them so wonderfuly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My SD adores her half-siblings.  I try to include them in her life whenever I can.  Her little sister came over and carved pumpkins with us this past year at Halloween.  We all trick-or-treated together.

SD is always very concerned that her mom, her sister and her brother won't have birthday gifts from her (because no one at BMs will take her shopping) so we always try to pick up a little something.  She's a generous kid and I like to encourage that.

We've told SD that our house is her home too, and that all of her family is welcome there.  I know that we're fortunate to get along well enough with BM to be able to do this for SD.  Hopefully we can keep it that way.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options

imageLittlejen22:
    That is sweet.  And it really makes you think about what a better place the world would be if everyone could think like him.  Would it really be the end of the world if everyone would accept the "half"-siblings as they accept the other kids?  No, the world would be better for it but we know that most are not capable.

I guess in an ideal word.  He lives 3 hours away and my bro drives down EOW to collect him.  I just don't see my bro taking his ex younger child and bringing him for the weekend.  

If they were in the area and he called in with his little brother my parents door would be open. My mom sent a present when he was born and she calls into his other grandma who lives near her and sees pics of the new baby etc but I'm not sure it will ever happen that she will take him for the weekend.

I am sure that the BM is using the 'baby is to young' excuse to explain why he is not coming for visitation.  Eventually she will have to explain to them that they have different families. 

• Options

Yes, sometimes the world would be so much sweeter if the half siblings were loved or felt as much love as whole sibs. Though in my family and step families they usually are loved and accepted as well welcome to visit.

This I say as my dad was adopted by his grandparents, my mom is a half sibling on both sides of her family, and my oldest niece and nephews are all all step or half siblings.

Thankful I have been to my families, whole, step, ex step, or half. Love them and love the love they have all poured on us.

• Options

Aw, he's sweet.  I wish more adults would think like that.

My SO's entire family treats my DD like every other kid in the family (even though they just met her last summer) and it's been really amazing.   

• Options

meltsintopuddleonfloor...

That is very cute!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"