Central Florida Babies
Options

Hi Moving to FL from NY

My husband and I are considering moving to FL what are some nice areas in Central FL to raise a family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hi Moving to FL from NY

• Options

Hi.

My DH and I moved here from NH, the kids and I moved here in December, we wanted DH to get settled and find the right place to live. I would suggest the following: Celebration, Champions Gate and Windermere I'm sure there are others but those are plavces that i know of.

Best of luck in your decision! Feel free to email me if youd like to chat about moving so far with a babe :) ceb0405@yahoo.com

Caroline 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you very much :)  I have a 5 year old as well so I would be looking into the schools down there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a big fan of Lakeland Fl, its a very nice community and great place to raise a family.  It's close enough to Tampa and Orlando area for any big city needs, easy access to the interstate, but everything you need is here in town!  I didn't grow up here, but I've fallen in love with the place!  I even got my mom to move here from Satellite Beach (where I grew up)!

Expecting a bootiful baby Girl this Halloween
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kml9876Kml9876 member
    I would say it depends on where you plan to work. Central Florida is a pretty large area and if you don't want a long commute it is better to live closer to your job. 
  • Options
    I live in East Central Florida close to Cape Canaveral about an hour from Orlando.  Love it over on this side, live in a growing town called Palm Bay.  Just a few hour drives to pretty much anywhere.
  • Options

Even though Florida is a nice place to visit I would not recommend it. I grew up on LI,NY in North Babylon.  The schools here are horrible. When we moved here my daughter had failed her math science and english regents in 10th grade and failed the 10 grade. According to NY she had to take a full schedule 11 and 12th and take summer classes with no lunches to graduate with her class.  We were in the middle of 11th grade when we moved here in December.  When she got here all she had to do to graduate was finish the year with 3 free classes and then take a class once a month senior year. The rest of the time she worked, unlike NY she was able to work wherever she wanted.

Second, The medical down here also is horrible. I was almost died two times because Dr's did not listen to me.  I have many allergies and twice I got a medication I was allergic to. That never happened in NY.

It does have its perks here.  It is warm. It is nice and slow 6 months out of the year when the snowbirds leave. House prices are disgustingly cheap. You can buy a prefab ( mobile ) for as little as 10k you may need work but not more than 5-10k on top. Regular houses have dropped more than 50% and are still dropping here. 

I am in Ocala which is the heart of Central Florida. If you like horses or are in the business, then Ocala is the place to be. Personally I like Florida but it is by no means family friendly. 

I would rather be back in W. Virginia. I lived there for almost 2 years. That is very family friendly, great schools awesome and we plan on moving back if we can ever get the house sold.

If you are looking to Florida for an investment do it now. foreclosures are priced dirt cheap.

Lilypie - (tucI)

• Options

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to add my $.02.  I've lived all over the state (and DC, NY, and MA).  I went to UF (for two degrees so I spent a lot of time there) and Gainesville is an AMAZING place to raise a family if you can handle the smaller town aspect of it.  The mall there has gotten much better since I first started college in 2000!

We just moved to Seminole County which is known for great public schools and family friendliness (they have a ton of parks, etc.).  I am so in love with it here!  There is no where else I would want to raise my baby!   I know there was at least three high schools from the county on the list of the top 500 in the country too.  Whatever you do, house shop based on school districts!

• Options

not sure if you are here yet but here they are;

winderemere; gotha, wekiva area (altamonte, some of apopka), lake buena vista, south waterford lakes, thorton park,

• Options

SO far from the little i have seen in Central Florida, Lake Mary and Heathrow are the nicest areas.  Dr. Phillips is also nice.

You want to be cautious of the county you get in, becuase some of the counties are better than others for public schools. Like someone else mentioned Seminole county is great for the public school system. 

We just moved to Lake Mary from Chicago last week, and with all the driving around ive done, Lake mary is by far one of the nicest areas i have been in. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"