1st Trimester

Eggs benedict

So, I really want some eggs benedict this weekend for easter brunch.  Are poached eggs safe?  or eggs over easy?  What about the hollandaise sauce?  I heard there are raw eggs in that?  Thanks ladies, sorry if this is a stupid question.
BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eggs benedict

• I can't tell you if the hollandaise sauce is okay, but poached eggs and eggs over easy are fine...and now my mouth is watering for some eggs benedict! Aaaaah...this craving won't go away until I get some and where am I gonna get some when I'm at work Tongue Tied
  • Hollandaise sauce, if even made from scratch which a lot of places don't even do and just make it from a mix, is cooked over heat no matter what so they eggs aren't raw. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • traditional hollandaise does have raw eggs in it. :(  but you can get a powdered mix to make at home that's fine. most eggs are fine because most eggs that you buy have been pasteurized. but if you're buying your eggs directly from a farm, or going to a restaurant that's doing that, they should be over hard or scrambled, no runny yolks.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• If the eggs are not pasteurized, the yolks should be cooked through.  Restaurant Hollandaise is bad, even when you're not pregnant, because the raw eggs just sit around all day long. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is actually two ways to make hollandaise and in one the egg is cooked the other (quicker) it isn't. Plus, it's only egg yolks, not the whites.

Traditional, like this https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hollandaise-sauce-recipe/index.html it is cooked over a double broiler and the egg should be cooked fine.

Quick recipes like this https://allrecipes.com//Recipe/blender-hollandaise-sauce/Detail.aspx  which is what I use to do, it isn't cooked. However, you heat the butter and as you pour it in, it will cook the egg yolk somewhat but not 100%.

I would ask how they make their sauce.

Oh and poached eggs might be fine as long as there isn't any runny whites or yolks. Just depends on how well cooked they are. I've had eggs benedict and if the egg was a bit runny. Both the white and yolk need to be firm and usually the yolk isn't in poached eggs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Don't over-think it... the eggs are fine (I asked my doctor about this with Easter brunch coming up and eggs benedict being my absolute fave), and the hollandaise is hot, as someone else pointed out.  That's not to discount the other poster's concerns, as foods not prepared by you always have a higher risk of carrying food-borne illness.  But I would say to go ahead - that's what my doc said to me! enjoy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"