Florida Babies

Just toured TGH....

So I just got back from my tour at Tampa General and I feel like I'm in panic mode. The labor and delivery suites were amazing but then they walked us over to the post partum area. First of all, it seems like there were people roaming the halls everywhere... and it didn't seem very quiet. Then they showed us the post partum room. I swear that thing is half the size of my college dorm room. It was L-shaped, had a bed, a chair that doesn't even recline, and a little spot for the baby... plus a small bathroom. Totally not what I was expecting... you can hardly turn around in there!

Anyone actually stayed in one of these rooms? Have any experiences to share? I thought I was going to burst into tears when I was leaving the hospital because I'm so overwhelmed with how I'm supposed to stay in that little room for 2 days (assuming normal birth) and where my husband is supposed to go and why there seemed to be so many people around everywhere.

It didn't help that this woman was yelling at the security guard during our tour while trying to control 3 young rowdy children so she could get back and see someone.

Thanks for listening! Any thoughts are much appreciated!

~ Life is good - count your blessings! ~

Re: Just toured TGH....

• I have not delivered there but I would suggest St. Joes or UCH- fletcher to deliver if you can.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had my baby there in January...I'm not going to lie - it was not a very good experience. The rooms are so small and dark, there was no room for visitors and my husband had to sleep on a small reclining chair. It wasn't at all what I was expecting either. My SIL has had 2 babies at Brandon Hospital and the rooms were double the size of the ones at TGH. On a positive note the nurses and staff were AWESOME for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsGaud:
    I had my baby there in January...I'm not going to lie - it was not a very good experience. The rooms are so small and dark, there was no room for visitors and my husband had to sleep on a small reclining chair. It wasn't at all what I was expecting either. My SIL has had 2 babies at Brandon Hospital and the rooms were double the size of the ones at TGH. On a positive note the nurses and staff were AWESOME for us.

Thanks for the response. I am happy to hear the care was great... that really is the part I should care most about. I just can't help but think I need a straight jacket to stay in one those tiny rooms! But I don't have a choice at this point. I'm sure baby and I will get through it. Wish I could just stay in the labor and delivery room the whole time!

~ Life is good - count your blessings! ~
  • imagegators1215:

imageMrsGaud:
    I had my baby there in January...I'm not going to lie - it was not a very good experience. The rooms are so small and dark, there was no room for visitors and my husband had to sleep on a small reclining chair. It wasn't at all what I was expecting either. My SIL has had 2 babies at Brandon Hospital and the rooms were double the size of the ones at TGH. On a positive note the nurses and staff were AWESOME for us.

Thanks for the response. I am happy to hear the care was great... that really is the part I should care most about. I just can't help but think I need a straight jacket to stay in one those tiny rooms! But I don't have a choice at this point. I'm sure baby and I will get through it. Wish I could just stay in the labor and delivery room the whole time!

Haha we thought the same thing about the straight jacket. You will get through it - just keep telling yourself "it's only a couple days!." Good luck with everything! Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered 9 months ago and I am prego again :). I delivered my daughter at Brandon Hospital and had a great experience. I loved my delivery room and my post partum room was a good size and accommodated my husband and I he stayed with me the 3 days after I delivered. Had to stay extra time because I had an issue delivering my placenta. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLoriJ11:
    I have not delivered there but I would suggest St. Joes or UCH- fletcher to deliver if you can.

St Joseph Womens all the way.  This is the only place that my OBGYN's will deliver at and I've actually heard several people say the same thing.  We made the drive to be with them.

• I delivered at TGH on April 11th.  They put me in a postpartum room that used to be a double but now was a single.  It was huge, had a daybed for guests and the staff (minus one nurse) were fantastic. 

The original rooms that were showed on the tour were pretty scary, BUT, you might luck out like I did, AND at least they are singles, you could be sharing with someone.  The two days will go fast, I promise!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not very familiar with hospitals in Tampa, but just across the bridge in St. Petersburg is the Bayfront Baby Place, it was just remodeled and is pretty amazing. My sister-in-law had her preemie there and they were able to wheel the preemie into the elevator and take her across the street through a clean underground tunnel directly to All Children's Hospital. Riley was so early, and her mommy had so many medical issues even before she was pregnant, if it hadn't been for Bayfront and All Children's I don't want to even think about what would have happened. 

https://www.bayfrontbabyplace.org/ 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi gators1215, when are you due? have you delivered at TGH yet? I have gotten feedback from other mothers that I work with that they like TGH and USF Women's Health as their OB. I was originally at St. Joe's and changed. These ladies told me that TGH will not rush you to deliver and that the care is great.

If you have delivered since this post, can you give an update? What was your experience there?? Also, what sort of things were provided to you for after delivery care, (i.e. peri-bottle, meds for tears, etc.)

I have my tour on Sunday. I'll be posting feedback once I am done.

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Thitsaboyblue Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"