Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Dumb powder formula question. Humor me.

DH and I have been using the Dr. Brown's pitcher to prepare DSs formula for the following day.  We've been using it a couple of weeks now, and it's working perfectly...especially since he's taking about 5 oz at every feeding now.  Thus, we make 28 oz of formula for five 5 ounce feedings and one 6 oz feeding.  Because of water displacement, the pitcher actually ends up being 31 oz.

So according to the mixing instructions, 1 scoop of powder yields 2 oz of prepared formula.  It stands to reason that you can pretty much guarantee that every scoop is 2 oz.  DH got curious and measured out 14 scoops in a measuring cup and got right over the 1 cup line.  We decided that was too vague, so we've just been putting in 28 oz of water and 14 scoops of formula. 

So I happened to see on the instructions that it says, "For larger size mixing instructions, please visit www.Similac.com/mixinginfo."  I go to the website out of curiosity, and it says to add 1 unpacked level measuring cup to 23 oz of water. 

So now I'm thoroughly confused.  If 14 scoops is right over 1 cup, and you're going by the standard 1 scoop = 2 oz equation, then how do you get 23 oz of water...unless they're calculating for water displacement, but even then, it's not going to displace by 5 oz.  According to the footnote, you actually get 26 oz. 

I'm not too worried.  He's thriving, and he pees and poops pretty regularly (although he is constipated as of late, but I think that's due to Mylecon).  Still, I may call the pedi tomorrow just to ask.  

What would you do?  Trust the equation, or the large volume instruction?  I mean, obviously they would know, since they produce the formula.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dumb powder formula question. Humor me.

• Options

Sorry, no answers for you. But this does remind me of the "if a train is going 72mph over the hill eastbound and another train is coming westbound 45mph"... haha... good luck!! 

• Options
    we use the pitcher too, and go by the large volume mixing instructions of 1 cup to 23 ounces water.... I never thought the math would be off, but I think it might be worth looking in to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think I've figured it out.  When DH measured, it was riiiight over 1 cup.  So, they're saying one unleveled cup to 23 oz of water, but it gives 26 oz of formula.  They are calculating for water displacement, so the equation is still correct 13 scoops = 26 oz.

Which means that DSs formula would have actually been slightly watered down according to this logic, because we've been doing 14 scoops to 28 oz and getting 31 oz after the water displacement.  It's off by about 1.5 scoops.  I feel seriously crappy about that, so we're going to try the 1 cup to 23 oz tonight. 

• Options

We usually add the one cup (unpacked, but levelled) to the Dr Brown's pitcher first, and then add the water up to the 24 oz line on the pitcher. 

DH followed the directions exactly in the order listed on the website, and we got 24oz of formula when it was mixed.  He found it harder to mix when he added the powder after the water.

Now I'm curious, and I'm going to try the directions exactly as on the website again - and see if we still get 24oz or 26oz.

Edit:  Checked the website again and it does state that it should yeild 26oz.  Hmmm so I have been feeding DS it too thick... don't feel so bad!!!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"