Pre-School and Daycare
Options

XP: Any feedback on Paragard?

I've been on the ring succesfully since the twins were 3 months but I'm deathly afraid of pregnancy and I keep hearing people say they got pregnant on it even when using it accurately.  So I think at this point an IUD is a smart move.  I love the idea of a hormone free alternative.  Any opinions on Paraguard?
Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg

Re: XP: Any feedback on Paragard?

• Options
    I've had it since September of '09 with no complaints. I've heard that some women get heavier periods with it, but have not had that experience myself. Insertion was relatively easy and the only thing I have to think about is to occasionally check the strings. I highly recommend it as a safe alternative to hormonal bc!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've had it for a year and I like it. It did take a little getting used to with the heavier periods. They're not that bad, but my previous method of BC was the pill, which made them pretty light in comparison. I think my body went through an adjustment period without the BCP hormones, because I did break out a little bit, which was annoying, but that seems to have leveled out. Insertion wasn't bad at all. No worse than a pap smear, and I didn't have any pain to speak of afterwards, either. Overall, I'd recommend it.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had the Paragard in for over 1 year. I hated that my periods were so heavy and quite a bit longer. The main reason I had it taken out was because I realize I was anemic. After some testing a couple doctors confirmed that while it was in I'd continue to be anemic and have the problems persist that I was having. I also cramped quite badly with the Paragard.

However, I never get pregnant while using it. lol 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've had mine since oct '08.  first few periods were heavier and crampier.  most are lighter and regular.  every now and then I have a crampy cycle and need motrin for a dose or two.  

I had mine placed at day 3 of a period.  called the day it started.  took motrin before going in for the procedure.  little crampy during, not bad. went back a month later to check placement... apparently most that fall out do so in the first cycle.  I have no plans on removing it any time soon.  

my ob recommended it b/c I had preeclampsia twice and it was suggested I avoid hormone based bc.  

• Options
    I'm getting mine tomorrow!
  • Options
    So far so good- insertion was a little painful (a 5 on a scale of 1-10) but the pain only lasted 10 seconds or so. I had light cramps on and off for about 1.5 days. Take some Motrin an hour before you have it put in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"