VBAC

Anyone VBAC with bigger babies?

Hello ladies,

My DD was born via emergency CS 4 years ago.  After 48 hours of labor I never dilated past 7 cm.  She was 8lbs 9oz at 41 weeks.

Now I am expecting in October and I would really love to VBAC.  My OB does them and they are totally behind me trying.  But they did warn me that they wouldn't let me try if the baby is more than 8lbs. and that 2nd babies tend to be bigger.  Also they said because I didn't dilate in my last labor it is likely to happen again.

I am trying to think positively but I just don't want to get my hopes up if it's unlikely to happen.  I was hoping you could share success stories from anyone in a similar situation.  Thanks for reading, and best of luck to you all!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone VBAC with bigger babies?

• Sorry, but it doesn't sound like your OB is "totally behind you trying."  The midwives I used for VBAC didn't even try to figure out how big DS was (and remember, there's no good way to tell anyway, late ultrasounds are notoriously unreliable).

I know you want success stories, but you can check out the link in my siggy to my VBAC attempt - even though I ended up with a RCS, it was a good experience and one that I would do again if we were having more children.

• Yeah, look for a new provider.

My MW never set a size limit for an attempt. DS1 was 8#4oz, and DS2 was 10#10 oz and a successful VBAC. I never had any sizing u/s done during my pregnancy, and my MW had no idea he was going to be that huge.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Jb&JbJb&Jb member

My first doctor said no to VBAC and his "reasons" were that second babies and boys tend to be bigger (he had other reasons but they were even more ridiculous). I switched to a doctor that didn't limit me and I VBACed a smaller baby that was a boy and that was with GD!

You have to be careful when your doctor appears to be all for you to VBAC but puts lots of restrictions on you, especially on things like the size of baby which is a big "what if"

DD #1 8lb 13.4 oz 41w0d C/S

DS #2 8lb 0.2 oz 40w3d GD VBAC

Edit: Posted from IPhone so the spacing is crappy. I'll edit and fix the spacing from my computer later

Edit #2:  edited spacing

• I agree with everything the pp's have said.  Also, my first was over 10 lbs.  My second (VBAC) was 8 lbd, 5 oz.  My midwife did not put any size limitations on me because there is no research that suggests I COULDN'T VBAC a big baby and also there is no reliable way to guess the size of a baby prior to the baby actually coming out.  Sorry, but it doesn't sound like your provider is truly VBAC friendly.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • DS #1 was 7 lbs 11 oz.  I had a c-section because his heart rate kept going down.  DS #2 was 9 lbs 5 oz, and I had a successful VBAC.  I saw a midwife and delivered with a midwife at a hospital.  They were very supportive and never mentioned a repeat c-section even though I didn't deliver until 41 weeks 3 days.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also agree with pp that it is difficult to determine a baby's size.  DS #2 was measuring small my entire pregnancy.  I was measuring 3-4 cm behind after 27 weeks.  They even had me go in and do a growth ultrasound.  I also gained 9 fewer lbs with my second pregnancy, and I don't think having a large baby made delivery more difficult.  I pushed for 1 hour and tore minimally.  I'm not a large person either.
  • Agree 100% with PPs.  If you are really interested in a VBAC, I recommend arming yourself with all possible information and surrounding yourself with a supportive team.  It doesn't sound like you have that right now.

• I had a patient deliver a 9#6oz boy VBAC just a couple of weeks ago. It made me feel better about attempting VBAC with this one. :)

DS was just 7#2 @ 40 weeks. This one will be here slightly earlier than 40wks, so I'm hoping for a similar sized baby. :)

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• With so many stipulations... I really don't think your OB is really all that supportive.

FWIW, I didn't dilate past 3cm with DD and she was 7 lbs, 1 oz.  I had a c-section for prolonged rupture of membranes at 40w0d. 

With DS (27 months later) I had a successful VBAC (waterbirth) with a hospital midwife group.  It did take me 33 hours of labor and a whiff of pitocin to dilate to 4cm, but then I progressed super fast.  DS was born just two hours later and I only pushed for 13 minutes.  He was 8 lbs, 2 oz at 41w2d.

I'm calling BS on your OB's predictions and limitations.  I think you're a very good candidate (based on your post) and I wish you all the best!  Just keep staying positive and believe in your body and in your baby.  And... GET A DOULA!  GL!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• I am in a very similar situation. DS was 9lbs 8oz - c-section after three days of trying to start labor. He never dropped and I never made it further than 4cm. This all after two full days of pitocin. 

My OB says that I could try if LO will be around 6-7lbs, which I know will not happen but would be wise to go a section if bigger. I am in the boat in between of going a vbac or scheduling. You still have plenty of time to decide and talk with your OB. My next conversation is going to be about just letting things happen as they should. I never went in to natural labor with DS, so who knows if that will happen again. My concern is that the baby needs to stay in my as long as she needs to.

Good luck!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"