Birth Stories
Options

Last minute induction

I found out I was pregnant in august of 2010, just a few weeks after a horrible car accident. A 17 year old girl was drunk, and she nearly T-boned me. If I hadn't swerved before, the cops said we'd both be dead. Luckily I only had a few minor injuries. Little did I know I had a baby inside me starting to grow that had survived too! Anyway, my pregnancy was stressful. Me and my boyfriend (baby's dad) were on and off, fighting all the time. I lost my job from the accident since my car was totaled. So I was broke, jobless, car-less, and sometimes boyfriend-less. Not what a 21 year old soon to be mom wants to or should have to go through.

Cut to the chase, since this is birth stories. I remember losing my mucus plug gradually. I had no idea what it was at first, so I called the doctor. I informed her that it was clear, almost like a snot substance. She told me that's most likely the mucus plug but not to panic since it could be weeks until I go into labor. I was already 38 weeks.

The next day, I woke up with horrible cramping pain. I could feel sharp pains in my pelvis when I walked, sat down, even when I was laying down. There were streaks of blood in the mucus plug now too.  I carefully did lots of research throughout my pregnancy, and also attended classes so I knew that was "bloody show." I knew something was happening, so I went to my scheduled pre-natal appointment. He wiggled her head and said "she's not engaged yet"  and they sent me home. I was kind of irritated, but I listened.

The following day, the pain was a lot more intense. I was nearly in tears every time I moved. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without crying it was so bad. My mother came over and called the hospital for me. They said they would see me, and I was so relieved. They hooked me up and sure enough those cramping pains were contractions and I had been having them for almost 2 days. They checked me and I was 3cm so I was staying.

I got into the labor room, and they got everything set up for me as I laid there in pain. Within a matter of 2 or 3 hours I went from 3cm to 7cm, and then quickly to 9cm. I was so surprised! I didn't even have any paid meds yet. I wanted to have a natural birth, so my wish was coming true. At least that's what I thought. After reaching 9cm I assumed it would be over soon and I'd get to hold my little bundle of joy.

Needless to say after reaching 9cm, the pain I had nearly tripled. So they gave me the nubain (sp?) shot. That took the edge off for a little bit, but I still had strong, painful contractions. The shot eventually wore off and they decided to give me another. About 2 or 3 hours went by, and I was still at 9cm. They decided to break my water to see if that would help. Still no progression.

They told me I needed the epidural because I wasn't relaxed enough, and since I was in a lot of pain, it could have been why I wasn't progressing. The anesthesiologist was a real prick. They had woken him up apparently, which made me real comfortable of having someone half asleep stick me in the back. He stuck me, and I remember saying "You hit a nerve!" It hurt so bad. His reply was "how can someone who went through all that pain, be so whiney about this?" I wanted to punch him. He was extremely sarcastic. You don't say that to a woman in labor! If only he knew what I was going through.

So then the epidural finally numbed me an I had a sense of relief after 2 days. They decided to give me pitocin as well. After getting all the way up to 15cc of pitocin, I still wasn't getting anywhere. I think I was around 9 1/2 or so. But there was still a "lip" as they called it. I was so ready for her to just come out. Finally they told me I could start pushing. They stopped the epidural. All of those now even more painful contractions came back. I tried all different positions. Legs pulled back, on my sides with my leg up, tying the blanket on the bar and pulling as I had my legs propped up, even squatting. I did all of that for 3 hours. They ended up having to cut me, but I delivered her at 10:02am on St. Patrick's day. Originally they thought I would deliver around 12am, because that's when I hit 9cm. Ha. She was 6lbs, 9oz and 18 1/2 in. I was 6lbs, 9oz and 19 1/2 in when I was born.

So, here we are a month later and Arianna is doing great!

I hope some of you have a better experience than I did, but no matter what it's all worth it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Last minute induction

• Options

She's beautiful, congrats!

I'd write a strongly-worded letter to the hospital about the prick anesthesiologist. What a douche. I would have told him he was a douche, but that's just me. :D 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Oh trust me, I told them. They sent me a survey in the mail about how my stay at the hospital. There were so many things they could have done better. I told them about it all too haha. And thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats! 

I would definitely write a letter to the hospital about the prick of an anesthesiologist that you had to deal with!  That is his job and he should never speak to anyone like that!

• Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

• Options
    Congratulations, she's adorable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"