2nd Trimester
Options

Protein powder during pregnancy?

I ate healthy for a while when I first found out that I was pregnant. During this past month & a half I felt that I started "stress eating" and indulging in not so healthy foods, not to mention I hadn't been exercising. I felt horrible when I stepped on the scale at my last appointment and was told that I gained 9lbs in 4wks Indifferent Since then I've cut the sweets and developed an exercise plan. I feel like I'm not incorporating enough protein in my diet, and I thought about making smoothies. I read on one site that not all powders are safe during pregnancy. Does anyone have any advice or would you be able to suggest quick healthy meals that are great when you're on the go?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Protein powder during pregnancy?

• Options
    My doctor didnt have a problem with protien powder. I got some at vitamin cottage. I do keep little baggies of trail mix or nuts with me in my purse because I get hungry pretty often. At least with the mixed nuts its a good source of protien and it fills me up for a while.
  • Options
    I asked my doctor about protein powders and she suggested I did not use them. She said the best protein to give the baby is the natural kind. She said I should make sure to have a balance diet. I hard boil eggs and I will just take one in my lunch. I also will have greek yogurt and granola. It has a ton of protein in it. Super good with fresh fruit too.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use it everyday! You can get lots of natural ones- try wholefoods.
  • Options
    I use SunWarrior protein powder. I have had no appetite this entire pregnancy and have had to supplement with shakes to keep my nutrition up.  My midwife is fine with this.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • Options

Most powders found at actual health food stores (Whole Foods, Henry's...) are natural. Meaning- its whey (milk) protein or soy protien. Some have egg protein. Explain how that is harmful... I don't get it.

• Options
    Yes they are fine if you are not getting your protein from anything else. I am not much of an egg person so I like to have a little protein shake in the morning with breakfast.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I see a nutritionist to help with my diet while PG. She does not want me on protein powders, as I asked her specifically about this. There are many that are not good for pregnant women. One good source of protein is dairy products, although she said that specifically the fermented kind is best (yogurt, kefir). You can eat eggs and cheese, but keep the amounts down during the week because they have Omega 6's which is a cause of inflammation, which in turn can signal your body to go into labor. You want about a 2:1 ratio of Omega 3's to Omega 6's. Other sources of protein are lean meats and fish, legumes and nuts and seeds.

The best way to eat also is to eat every meal with a mixture of carbs, proteins and fats. When you do this your body absorbs the nutrients the best. Carbs are things like fruits and veggies, grains and rice, breads, also beans. Healthy fats consist of oils (such as flax, olive, etc, but not most other vegetable oils though as they are Omega 6 sources) nuts, olives, butter, seeds, egg yolks.

If you ever want to visit with my nutritionist for a consultation, she can do things via phone and email. She's amazing, I highly recommend her! 

www.perfectlyproduce.com

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • Options

I use them normally, but I am abstaining during pregnancy. Don't know if you remember but awhile ago, a report came out about trace metals and other contaminants in protein powder. They are NOT regulated, unfortunately.  I can live with that when it's just me we're talking about, but not when baby is involved. Plus they usually have artificial sweeteners or Stevia, none of which I feel comfortable using pregnant.

I would stick to whole food sources of protein, personally. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are two easy go-tos of mine-- you can put in a tupperware and bring to work with you (I use an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack). Hardboiled eggs are also good.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    High protien ensure is what my MFM had me on last pregnancy. I had to have one or two a day to get weight on the babies and it also has a  lot of good nutrition in it.  I have been drinking them now when everything else make me want to puke.
  • Options
    Try drinking 3 ensures a day. Chocolate is the best Smile
  • Options
    I have found that it's difficult for me to get my protein during the week because I am so busy and usually don't have time to prepare dinner in the middle of the week.  I try and make a couple of dinners that are low in fat but high in protein like turkey chili or turkey meatloaf.  These usually last a few days.  I also  incorporate nuts and peanut/almond butter with celery or an apple.  Just be careful because these are also high in calories and I know I tend to over indulge.  When in doubt, everyday I make sure to have my greek yogurt.  It has tons of protein and you can get low fat or fat free versions that have just as much protein.  I also love hummus with veggies and usually do an egg white omelet at least once a week. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use them. I stopped using the soy one and use a pure why protein powder that has only one other ingredient and no sweeteners. Its basically just milk protein. Both my OB and my Bradley instructor are ok with this. I use it to make Green Monster smoothies so I can get my greens in too. It works on those days when I don't have much of an appetite to still get my nutrients from whole foods (I use milk, bananas, strawberries, spinach and the powder). No one has told me not to. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Hm..I will have to research that for myself since I drink protein powders just about every day. I strength train regularly so I'm used to doing a shake post workout and usually do hemp and/or rice  powders which don't have any added ingrediants other than the hemp/rice.Plus I find it so hard to get the 60 grams of recommended protein a day on my 9-10 hour a work day schedule!

I would talk to your Dr. if you have any concerns though and I'll definitely ask mine at my next appointment. I would love to see a link to the article you read?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My Bradley instructor is okay with whey-based ones but not soy-based.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My midwife actually recommended it because I am having a hard time eating meat. I think that the best kinds are the more natural with no additives like sugar or creatine for muscle growth. Also I have noticed some kinds are more difficult to digest for some, like whey protein. Just give a couple a try (you can sometimes get a one time pack from speciality stores.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"