Postpartum Depression
Options

3 weeks PPD

I have always struggled with depression, but my infant is 3 weeks old, and I can't seem to shake this emotional madness.  Everything makes me cry, and I feel so overwhelmed.  It feels like my depression did when it was really bad several years ago.  My question is, will this subside?  Did most of you begin experiencing the depression shortly after you delivered? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 3 weeks PPD

• Options
    Yes, I began to experience it right away. My dd was born preemie, and we had to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks. (Baby Iris and I) I stayed to bf. My kids and DH were at home, and I missed them soo much but I knew I had to stay. Also, DH and I had a fight that we never really resolved before our dds sudden early birth, and my long stay in the hospital without him. This made me very vulnerable throughout my entire stay. To make it worse, dd was in the NICU the whole time and I could hardly be with her, expect to feed her. I felt very alone. Dh and I talked things through when I came home, and I began to come around when dd was about 6 weeks old. I thought I was over the hump then, but its seems to have come back with avengance. I think it reallt takes some time, and a lot of help. I am currently not on any meds, but am beginning to feel as though I should be. I think the best way to help your feelings subside are to seek help, and to hang in there. It may be a long journey, but try not to be too discouraged. I know somedays I feel like giving up, and leaving everything, because I feel like I am more trouble for DH than I am worth. But I know that this wont last forever, and that it is best for everyone if I try to stay strong. I too have a history of depression, but I feel like once IM out of this rut, it could very well be gone for good. I try to stay positive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes, mine began pretty much the day after I had Lydia.  I too had a history of depression, but I kept telling myself that what I was feeling was the baby blues and it was normal.  However, it just kept getting worse, and 5 weeks later, I got on medication and stopped breast feeding, which I was glad about.  Breast feeding was stressful on me and I think it exacerbated my depression.  Anyway, it took a couple weeks after starting the medication and a dosage increase to relieve the depression.  So I felt the depression for about 2 months.  Have you thought about medication?  I also suggest counseling to talk through this huge transition in your life and all the changes taking place.

Take heart, you WILL feel joy again and be able to enjoy parenting your baby, IF you don't ignore what you're feeling and seek help!

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"