Success after IF
Options

I am very surprised at.......

the high school drinking post ;)

Boy, do I feel like a lush!

I can't believe that 50% of people didn't drink at all in high school????? I realize not everyone voted, but that seems like a lot.

SO many people in my high school drank every weekend (including me).

For those of you who aren't in contact with middle school/high school kids nowadays, you would be surprised ;) Kids are drinking now even younger.....unfortunately.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I am very surprised at.......

• Options
    I can't believe it either!  And I'm one of the ones who didn't drink!  But I knew plenty of kids who did...and since I am older than most on here I figured there would be more "yes" respondents b/c I think drinking has become more and more common since I was in HS.
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Don't worry- I just got on and voted. I was just at parties though. I was really into sports as were most of my friends so we didn't have a lot of time to drink. We had tournaments on the weekend and worked out a lot. So drinking wasn't priority. Also- we were a tight group and normally hung out at one of our houses - we all had nosey very active parents.

Don't worry- my drinking upped A LOT once I got to college. When I turned 21 I went to the bar something like 21 days straight ;-) (A trip to Vegas was in that also)

imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCMM05:

the high school drinking post ;)

Boy, do I feel like a lush!

I can't believe that 50% of people didn't drink at all in high school????? I realize not everyone voted, but that seems like a lot.

SO many people in my high school drank every weekend (including me).

For those of you who aren't in contact with middle school/high school kids nowadays, you would be surprised ;) Kids are drinking now even younger.....unfortunately.

Must be a Michigan thing ;)

I drank often.  Wine coolers came in a 2 liter bottle when I was in HS. LOL

Health&Fitness Blog imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Our IVF miracles!
  • Options
    I can't believe middle school kids are drinking.  That just shocks me haha.  I went to a public middle/high school in FL and honestly TONS of my friends never drank or drank very little.  I never drank bc I knew my parents would KILL me.  I had a very healthy fear of my parents and a wonderful relationship with them.  I hope to instill this in my children too.   I'm not saying drinking is wrong but I do think it is at 16 and or younger...yikes.

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• Options
    imageTheSkimmy:

Don't worry- my drinking upped A LOT once I got to college. When I turned 21 I went to the bar something like 21 days straight ;-) (A trip to Vegas was in that also)

Ditto...have definitely made up for the lack of HS drinking, starting w/ my college years.

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    I must be blind because I don't see the poll.  But, I am from New Orleans...I'm pretty sure the majority of my high school was drunk 95% of the time...
  • Options

I made the poll to settle a debate between DH and I.  And frankly ladies, the results are NOT helping:(  Good thing he can't see that I posted.  Wink

I think I'll only share if I "win".

I drank my ever-lovin' a** off in high school.  And in college.  And before we had kids:)  And still a drinker (though not more than a few on a real wild night) when I'm not knocked up.  DH isn't and didn't touch a drop in HS.  He drank in college but was never a huge drinker.  It worked for us (we met when I was 18/19, he was 22) because I would drink and then he could drive.  And buy before I turned 21 after my fake expired. 

He is adamant that the majority of high school kids don't drink "nearly every weekend" (that was my statement).  I grew up in a small, rural town and that's all there was to do.  I think I can count on one hand the number of kids in my graduating class that I never saw with a drink in their hand.  

So, high school drinkers:  see the poll below?  Go vote, cause I'm not winnin' here!

• Options
    I started drinking really young by most standards (middle school).  I don't even really like to drink but I would do it to show off.  I used to make daiquiris for my friends when I had a sleepover.  My parents thought that they were non-alcoholic but I would add some rum from our liquor cabinet in there.  
  • Options
    CMM05CMM05 member
    imageLuckySunshineBaby:

I made the poll to settle a debate between DH and I.  And frankly ladies, the results are NOT helping:(  Good thing he can't see that I posted.  Wink

I drank my ever-lovin' a** off in high school.  And in college.  And before we had kids:)  And still a drinker (though not more than a few on a real wild night) when I'm not knocked up.  DH isn't and didn't touch a drop in HS.  He drank in college but was never a huge drinker.  It worked for us (we met when I was 18/19, he was 22) because I would drink and then he could drive.  And buy before I turned 21 after my fake expired. 

He is adamant that the majority of high school kids don't drink "nearly every weekend" (that was my statement).  I grew up in a small, rural town and that's all there was to do.  I think I can count on one hand the number of kids in my graduating class that I never saw with a drink in their hand.  

So, high school drinkers:  see the poll below?  Go vote, cause I'm not winnin' here!

Tell him to walk the halls of a middle school and/or high school right now. Trust me.....kids are drinking a lot.....at a lot younger of an age.

I grew up in a well to do suburban area and kids drank all.the.time. We drank before all dances, all assemblies, our senior all-night party. You get the idea. We were all very good kids though.

Kids today are doing way more than we ever did......anyone who thinks differently is completely naive.

The planned parenthood post got me thinking too because some people commented on how sex ed needs to be taught more and this is SO true. Unfortunately, schools are actually taking it out of the schools due to budget cuts and the pressure from some parents/organizations to not "expose" students to the content. Honestly......sex ed should be started in 5th/6th grade.....not high school. And, again, I teach in a well-to-do area with very involved parents. But, still these kids know more and are doing more at a younger age. I completely believe in educating kids on all of these issues and unfortunately that is not happening :(

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I always feel like a loser when one of these types of polls gets posted.  A couple of years ago there was a question about how many partners you've had and I couldn't believe how many people were virgins when they got married or had only been with their husbands.  I felt like I had a modest "number" until that poll and then I felt like a whore ; )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCMM05:
    =

I grew up in a well to do suburban area and kids drank all.the.time. We drank before all dances, all assemblies, our senior all-night party. You get the idea. We were all very good kids though.

Ditto this - and I was surprised at the poll too. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who didn't drink in high school. But I can also count on one hand the number of people I know IRL who didn't have sex before marriage (actually, it's zero so don't even need one hand) and that seems to be pretty common on the Bump too, so I guess I am just friends with sinners, haha. But I was on academic teams, graduated in top 1% of my class, drama club, all honors/AP courses, and still drank every chance I got (and most of my friends were similarly high achieving). It's just what kids at our school did.

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Options
    imageCMM05:
    imageLuckySunshineBaby:

Tell him to walk the halls of a middle school and/or high school right now. Trust me.....kids are drinking a lot.....at a lot younger of an age.

Kids today are doing way more than we ever did......anyone who thinks differently is completely naive.

The planned parenthood post got me thinking too because some people commented on how sex ed needs to be taught more and this is SO true. Unfortunately, schools are actually taking it out of the schools due to budget cuts and the pressure from some parents/organizations to not "expose" students to the content. Honestly......sex ed should be started in 5th/6th grade.....not high school. And, again, I teach in a well-to-do area with very involved parents. But, still these kids know more and are doing more at a younger age. I completely believe in educating kids on all of these issues and unfortunately that is not happening :(

LOL...he works and coaches high school:)  He agrees a lot of kids drink, but thinks it close to 60-70% max, with 1/3 of those kids doing it socially to "look cool".

• Options

I don't see the poll, but I drank in high school.  A lot.  And college. 

In high school, I lived near a large university and worked with a lot of college students, so I had easy access.  I'm going to hell for this, but I had a friend whos parents were deaf.  We all told our parents that we were staying overnight at her house because they couldn't call to check up on us.  I also lived in a very small town, so there wasn't much to do, besides drink and have sex. 

In college, our motto was study hard, play hard.  The semesters that I drank the most, my grades were the best. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't drink in high school. Not even once. But my parents knew where I was and what I was doing 100% of the time...there was never any opportunity, even if I'd wanted to (which I didn't).

I drank some in college, but not much...and not until I was 21 years old. What can I say? I'm a rule follower.

• Options
    I didn't vote but I drank every weekend starting at about 16 and in the summer, every night after work. We would hang out at a cemetery, park or someones home (parents weren't home). I would go clubbing starting at 17-18 crying to bouncers to let me in... tears worked wonders.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options
    I did not drink in HS but I MORE than made up for it in college!!  Yikes don't want to think about middle schoolers drinking!
  • Options
    I just voted and I definitely drank in high school, but I didn't like beer at the time so it was harder to find something I did like - had to get older friends to buy me Malibu (yuck). A lot of my friends and I were doing, um, other things instead of drinking though (during my last two years of HS especially).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"