D.C. Area Babies

how long does it take your LO to fall asleep?

This s/o of the toddler sleep question a few days ago . . . Up until a few weeks (maybe not even that long) ago, J would fall asleep between 6:30-7:00, usually no more than 10-15 minutes after we put him down.

Lately, though, it's been taking as long as 45 minutes-1 hour. He rolls around, acts like he's going to sleep, then stands up, gets down, kicks the wall, talks to himself . . . you name it. 

I've tried putting him down right at 6:30 and he was up until 7:30, we've put him down at 7:00 and he's still up for half and hour. Just a phase? Normal? Should we start putting him down later? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: how long does it take your LO to fall asleep?

• ds has been taking longer to go down now also.  He doesn't cry or bother anyone, in fact we only know because of hte video monitor.  He used to go down at 7 and would be out every night by 710...then when he started taking one long nap in the afternoon from like 1230-315ish, he started not being ready for bed until a bit later.  We have been putting him down closer to 730 and most nights he is asleep by 8, every once in a while its 815...but he is perfectly fine up there.  He sleeps until about 715 every morning no matter when he goes to bed....

good luck!! 

• For us anywhere between no time and maybe up to an hour at most. I noticed a big change after DST and I think it's because it's still light out when I put her to bed (7pm). Probably about 4 times out of the week I'll hear her talking and singing to herself and moving around but usually she's not up for more than 30 minutes. I thought about moving her bedtime to be later but I'm not going to do that yet. When I go to bed, I usually don't fall asleep right away so I figure she probably needs a bit of time to unwind on some nights. She's not crying or fussing so I'm not going to make any changes yet.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DS has been going to bed at 7:30 since about 12 months, but he also has recently started chattering to himself and taking longer to fall asleep - usually 15-30 minutes. Since he's not fussing we haven't made any shifts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sadly, you're describing our life. We've played with bedtime a million ways and no matter when we put her to bed she still takes between 60-90 minutes to fall asleep, just playing. We have to start bedtime at 6 and aim to have her in bed between 6:30-7 just to have her get enough sleep. It stinks since we miss out on good time with her. I hoped this was just a phase, but this has been going on for a VERY long time now. This is also why I will keep her in a crib for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • When they were little the girls went to bed around 6:30 or 7:00.  Over time they've moved it back to 7:30.  Like you said, they would go down and just be wide awake, mess around, etc.  Maybe 6:30 is early for your DS now?  I don't know that it should take an hour to go to sleep.  ETA:  Unless you're emack's daughter!  I guess it does take some kids that long!
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • I think it's normal

• I read somewhere that you should adjust their bedtime in 15 minute intervals - so if you wanted to push it back, you might want to try that.

C takes 0-15 minutes to fall asleep. We rarely hear him jabber longer than that. I can often tell how quickly he fell asleep when I sneak in before I got to bed to check on him - if he's on his back with this blanket still over him, he passed right out. If he's sprawled out in a corner and the blanket and all his animals on the other side, it took a little longer. 

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageemack:
    Sadly, you're describing our life. We've played with bedtime a million ways and no matter when we put her to bed she still takes between 60-90 minutes to fall asleep, just playing. We have to start bedtime at 6 and aim to have her in bed between 6:30-7 just to have her get enough sleep. It stinks since we miss out on good time with her. I hoped this was just a phase, but this has been going on for a VERY long time now. This is also why I will keep her in a crib for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!

That sounds exactly like what we're dealing with. And I agree, I don't want to put him down later because he has NOT been pushing back his wake up time, so if he goes down later he'll be getting any less sleep. Bah.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagetomandcourt:

imageemack:
    Sadly, you're describing our life. We've played with bedtime a million ways and no matter when we put her to bed she still takes between 60-90 minutes to fall asleep, just playing. We have to start bedtime at 6 and aim to have her in bed between 6:30-7 just to have her get enough sleep. It stinks since we miss out on good time with her. I hoped this was just a phase, but this has been going on for a VERY long time now. This is also why I will keep her in a crib for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!

That sounds exactly like what we're dealing with. And I agree, I don't want to put him down later because he has NOT been pushing back his wake up time, so if he goes down later he'll be getting any less sleep. Bah.

That's true.  When the girls started going to bed at 7:30 instead of 6:30/7:00 it didn't mean they slept/sleep any later the following morning. 

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"