Multiples
Options

Question re: C sec Prep

My C is scheduled for next tuesday the 19th.. today was my last dr appt prior to that, YAY!

My questions are from the written instructions my dr gave me today, which I'm just reading now..

1. No shaving around the surgical area 72 hours prior.. just curious why?

2. After showering the morning of do not use lotion, perfume or deoderant.. I get lotions & perfumes, but why can't I wear deoderant?

Thanks in advance!

Spontaneous ID Twin Girls - born 38w 2d Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Question re: C sec Prep

• Options

1. I am totally guessing, but they don't want you to cut yourself on accident? maybe razors have a lot of bacteria they don't want on the site?

2. Interesting. I had a c-sect but it wasn't planned so I had on what I had on, which I know for sure included deoderant.  

so basically I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to weigh in with my speculations. Good Luck next week! 

• Options

1. My guess is that they are planning to shave you prior to surgery anyway so they want to make sure there is enough growth there for them to shave. I know they took an electric razor to me prior to my surgery.

2. Not a clue. I put on deodorant before heading out the door to the hospital. I never would have thought not to wear it.

The only instructions I received were no eating or drinking after midnight the night before surgery (or no eating or drinking on the way in if I came in prior to the scheduled date) and bloodwork 1-2 days prior to scheduled c-section date. If I didn't make it that far, which I didn't, I was to bring the lab slip with me and they would do my bloodwork in L&D.

Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

HAH!

I ignored all rules and my doctor knew it and didn't care. DH shaved my legs for me that morning and I lathered up.  And no deoderant?  I sweated like a pig my whole pregnancy, no way I was going to let anyone near me without deoderant. 

My rules also said no make-up or jewelry. Ummm hello people?  My face is so bloated that my eyes are squished together.  If I didn't use eyeliner or mascara you wouldn't see my eyes in the pictures.  And I wore my pearl earrings in (no necklace).

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hmm, interesting.  They actually advised me to shave the night beforehand or else they would need to do it for me that day.  I did the best I could (it ain't easy with that huge twin belly!!!) and they just had to do a tiny touch up.  Also, they said nothing about deodorant, and I was definitely wearing deodorant!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Shaving with a razor can cause small cuts in the skin, introduce bacteria and increase the risk of infection.  So they don't want any female landscaping for that reason.  Shaving legs is always appreciated.  :)

Lotion/perfume/deodorant...odd. 

FWIW, I wore full make-up, diamond earrings, wore my contacts, deodorant, and I do these surgeries on patients every single day.  People walk in off the streets in labor in every imaginable condition; infection risk is not going to change if you wear deodorant or not.  Likely the lotion/perfume/deodorant is the hospital's blanket pre-op order. 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options

I think the reason for no makeup, lotions, deoderant, etc. is that they want you to be as sterile as possible - go in after washing with soap and that's it.  We all know there's bacteria in makeup, on deoderant, etc., so I'm sure it's easier to just say zero telerance to anything other than your soap and water.

• Options

I'm sure you're right jenkm.  Oh heck....I'm such a rule breaker! 

In Europe, if you're not directly in the operating field you do not wear a mask in the OR.  Talk about crazy!  Anesthesia, circulating nurses don't wear them.  It's so foreign to me.   If that doesn't contribute to infection, my deodorant shouldn't either.  At least last I checked I don't put it on my lower abdomen.  Stick out tongue

• Options
    imageE&RMommy:

Shaving with a razor can cause small cuts in the skin, introduce bacteria and increase the risk of infection.  So they don't want any female landscaping for that reason.  Shaving legs is always appreciated.  :)

Lotion/perfume/deodorant...odd. 

FWIW, I wore full make-up, diamond earrings, wore my contacts, deodorant, and I do these surgeries on patients every single day.  People walk in off the streets in labor in every imaginable condition; infection risk is not going to change if you wear deodorant or not.  Likely the lotion/perfume/deodorant is the hospital's blanket pre-op order. 

This.  If I was going in for a unexpected c-section, I would most likely have makeup on... Heck, I even got "camera worthy" at 1:30 am before going to the hospital to have DS.  It only took have DS#1 and seeing how AWFUL  I looked in all the pictures I vowed to take the time to look not-like-death-warmed-over for any future deliveries :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageamanda31H:

HAH!

I ignored all rules and my doctor knew it and didn't care. DH shaved my legs for me that morning and I lathered up.  And no deoderant?  I sweated like a pig my whole pregnancy, no way I was going to let anyone near me without deoderant. 

My rules also said no make-up or jewelry. Ummm hello people?  My face is so bloated that my eyes are squished together.  If I didn't use eyeliner or mascara you wouldn't see my eyes in the pictures.  And I wore my pearl earrings in (no necklace).

LOL! You are hilarious and so right about the make-up, sweating, etc.  I had an emergency c-section and they didn't care about any of that stuff so I find that a little odd too.

• Options

I forgot to mention that I am having my c-section the same day. I see my doctor tomorrow so I am anxious to see my instructions. We will have to compare :)  Good Luck on your C-section.  I don't know about you but I am sooooooo ready for this pregnancy to be done.

• Options
    I received the same instructions. I was also given special soap to use the night before and morning of. And this is random, but when they shaved me, I got an in grown hair right at the top. Even now, its under the surface and very obvious. It doesn't hurt, but I'm curious if it'll ever work its way out.
  • Options

ACOG's most recent publication on c-section infection.  Here are the risk factors identified with their correlating odds ratio.  Just in case anyone is interested.

• Options

I only got the no eating/drinking instructions and no shaving.  And to take a shower using Hibiclens the morning of.

I wore a ton of makeup, gave my hair a great blowout, and tried to look as good as possible.  I was swollen up like the Sta-Puff marshmallow man so I looked pretty bad (although I thought I looked great - it was only once I got my face back that I realized how puffy I was).  And I'm fairly sure I wore my Amazing Grace lotion on my legs and hands that day.  Maybe even the perfume.  

• Options

Thanks ladies! I suppose I'll be a good girl and follow the no shaving instructions but ?'ll probably dab some deoderant on so I'm not stinky!

Haven - I did also get the wash to use the night before and morning of :)

Spontaneous ID Twin Girls - born 38w 2d Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've had 3 so far...... you should shave as close to your date (morning of) if possible. They would recommend not doing it before hand for risk of infection prior to.

You are not suppose to use lotion, perfume or deoderant because hospitals are suppose to be fragrance free environments and most people use deoderant with perfume in it. It has nothing to do with bacteria or anything like that! I am one of those people with the allergy to a lot of scents, so I completely understand those rules!

The other ladies are right, if you went into labour you more than likely would be in perfume, lotion, deoderant, makeup etc however if you are scheduled they are trying to reduce the amount of perfume etc in the hospital.

Another few recommendations, don't wear nail polish (a lot of hospitals make you take it off anyways since your nails show the first signs of oxegyn deprovation) don't wear cover up or powder (they need to be able to see your skin pigmentation) leave valuables at home including jewlery (you aren't really suppose to wear it in surgery especially if there are any complications and a defribulater needs to be used)

Hope that helps!

• Options

Oh yeah- that was the other thing I was going to mention- they said no nail polish.

I got a pedicure a few days before because I knew it would be a long time.  They didn't DARE make me take that polish off!!!

But, my doctor did my c-section wearing her heels. So I guess I was in good company? Wink

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"